meegosh's 75G Geophagus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geophagus Tapajos aka Orange Heads. Go back a page or two to see a picture of the parents. Absolutely stunning.

Good fishy

Well the geos decided to behave last night and stay still long enough for me to get some decent close ups. They were all going nuts trying to gobble up pellets. You can notice some of their rescaping that they did for me.... got the front of the tank dug out about 12" long all the way down to the egg crate.

3rZ4g.jpg

eKJAF.jpg

A little lip locking:
d83la.jpg

Mamma krib getting her share:
M3TNf.jpg

It has been a while so I figured I would give an updated..

The kribs are back to breeding again. They have picked a nice cave that has only one entrance. They both guard the entrance but don't seem to chase anyone like the used to in my 30g. I think the geos may have put them in their place.

Everyone is doing great though, no deaths, no nipping, anything! Geos are really starting to color up nicely. It is sooo hard to get their colors to show on camera. I think the raised lighting (haven't made a hood yet) is washing their colors out a bit.

Here's some pics from the 17th.
7SvF9.jpg

One big happy family, LOL:
JCe3z.jpg

Nice fish pictures! Looks like things are coming along nicely here and its great to hear that you're not having any aggression issues.

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty worried I would have WWIII in my tank for a while. The two largest geos (lefty & righty as the wifey calls them - one has two black dots on the right and the other, the left) were constantly lip locking and rolling around in the sand.

I was honestly worried they were going to kick up too much sand it would get in my filter. Luckily that only lasted a few days and now everything is back to normal.

"this Thread is more than 149 days old..."

I think that means it is time for an update.

How do I say this politely? My geos are turning into punks. How's that? LOL. I think they are getting close to breeding age and are starting to really color up, nice reds and blues now. With all this show of color, their aggressive sides have reared their ugly head.

I have lost a few Diamond Tetras by the geos picking on them. I thought they would be quick enough and yet small enough to not be bothered by them but I was wrong. I think I've lost 4 over the past couple of weeks. One was a carpet/concrete surfer, jumped out and was about 5 feet from the tank when I came down in the morning. The others were picked on and probably died from stress/their wounds.

I'm torn on what to do now. I'm thinking I may have to rehome all the tetras to avoid them getting picked off one by one. I also lost my male krib due to aggression. I'm thinking the female and the tetras need to go in their own tank.

The angel, loaches, upside down cat and cories are all doing great. Saw some cory eggs the other day and sadly watched the clown loach eat them all. I'll try to get some pictures soon, got a few live plants in there now but still needs some work.

Even thought they are on the low end of the aggression scale they can still be a little fiesty, the conspecific aggression is a little higher as they mature. I would personally not give up on a schooling fish but I would switch over to a larger bodies tetra such as Hyphessobrycon anisitsi. I've had much better success with those over the other longer finned tetras.

Can't wait to see some pictures of their full colors, I've seen pictures of their parents in the past on MFK & Aquabid.

Last edited:
Yeah I was torn between Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis and the diamonds when I first set out to do this tank. Lemons inhabit the same river as the geos naturally so I wanted a bunch of them but couldn't source any locally or online (for a decent price).

Sadly, the diamonds are paying the price. They have always been one of my favorites since I first started out. When the light hits them just right they are stunning fish.

I'm headed to the woods after work today but I'll have to find my charger for my digital camera to get some decent macro shots. Maybe next week sometime I'll update with some newer pictures. Can't wait for mine to fully color up like their parents.

Still can't find my cord for my digital camera so you'll have to settle for some blurry cellphone macros.

E0vIc.jpg

8afia.jpg

Those are two of three biggest males I have right now. Not sure why they look so washed out when I take pictures. I was trying to get the blue lips and fins and show some of the pattern in their tail fins.

Took a couple more macro shots with my cellphone and they showed some more of their color. I only cropped my fingers out of the shots.

DVQck.jpg

Only got his tail but shows the nice blue:
uVpNV.jpg

73XAG.jpg

Doing good, a bit neglected due to life. Everyone's happy for the time being. Thinking about rehoming the male krib that's left. He seems so depressed since his other half died. Not showing his colors like he used to and just kind of sits around anymore.

The geos are doing great, eating like pigs and coloring up nicely.

Any time you're in the States, especially Pennsylvania, let me know! :) I'll gladly have a beer with ya. My favorite seat is at the bar in front of the tank. ;)

Last edited:
Lived in Fort Lauderdale,south Florida for 7 years meegosh.workin on super yachts ;-) very silly rich people,loved it thou ;-)

Well I think this thread has run its course. Unfortunately something wiped out this tank on New Year's day. All the geos were dead and more than half the tetras, the remaining fish were gasping at the surface with a white film across the top. Not sure what happened as I was out of town.

Not sure what I'm going to restock it with, pretty sad looking tank now with an angel, 3 diamonds, 3 cories, 1 upside down cat, and a clown loach.

Back
Top Bottom