Meet my Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s okay. I’m new to this I’m bound to make mistakes.
Like not installing the filter right the first day lost one into the filter. Fixed that and everyone was good until ich showed up.
Ich treatment killed Athos Porthos Aramis coral Pearl jewel and Fred didn’t know they are scaleless/sensitive.

I pulled Evan out of the tank for the night because he was acting hella sick he survived the night but the tetra the same size in the main tank Jewel died. Evan still doesn’t look too good but I don’t want spitfire to get stressed being the only tetra so I put Evan back in the main tank from his quarantine bucket(with heater and filter)

Thank you here’s an updated photo of this tank!

Attachments

• 39C1E884-2910-46CF-8D26-672C2C3ABE28.jpg
    39C1E884-2910-46CF-8D26-672C2C3ABE28.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 12
We removed the stump hide as it took another victim. A gourami got sucked into the back of it and drowned in an oxygen pocket created by the bubbler.

Questions

The tank is a 15gal vertical tank and I’m concerned I’m going to kill everyone in it because of learning still. I have learned of cycling and I have started a journal for my two tanks I test the water with strips twice daily until I get my advanced test kit. Today I did like a 30+/-% after letting the water for it heat up. The water I used was tap water treated with Stress Coat+ [API] and quick start[API] in a trash can this trash can is also equipped with a Tetra whisper PF-10 and a 100w Aqueon Heater. My parameters before the change were Gh(250) no3(50) no2(10) cl2(0) kh(80) ph(7.2) ammonia (0.5).

Questions are

Why is one of my gourami acting dead but when the floating plants are disturbed swims away? It’s been doing this for a few days. I’m new and don’t know normal gourami behavior. They are dwarf honeysunset gourami. There are two gourami and three adult glo tetras. The gourami are sort of acting like a pair. Should I just move them to the 20gal? Is my 20 gal ready how do you know if it’s safe?

Am I stocking my vertical 15 too much?

Is there something very wrong if 10 fish have died in the tank since I started it? Only 2 were decoration related.

If I posted all my ideas would someone give input?

This thread is getting very confusing. You might be better starting a new thread outlining your issues more clearly rather than lumping everything together in a single thread that isnt relevant for what you are now going through.

You arent doing nearly enough water changes to keep the water safe until your cycle establishes. Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. I would be doing 50% daily or 30% twice daily water changes until you get to this level and then whatever you need to be changing to keep them there.

Im assuming the last post is about a 15g tank. Whats going on in the 20g tank? Personally, given all your issues i would be concentrating on getting 1 tank right before looking at a 2nd.

Basically, all your issues stem from not being cycled. You can treat sick fish till the cows come home, but you are treating symptoms not the cause. Even your decoration related issues, i dont believe they are caused by the decorations. Your fish are sick and dying through living in toxic water, they are just getting pulled into decorations due to water currents once they are already dead or well on the way.

This thread is getting very confusing. You might be better starting a new thread outlining your issues more clearly rather than lumping everything together in a single thread that isnt relevant for what you are now going through.

You arent doing nearly enough water changes to keep the water safe until your cycle establishes. Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. I would be doing 50% daily or 30% twice daily water changes until you get to this level and then whatever you need to be changing to keep them there.

Im assuming the last post is about a 15g tank. Whats going on in the 20g tank? Personally, given all your issues i would be concentrating on getting 1 tank right before looking at a 2nd.

Basically, all your issues stem from not being cycled. You can treat sick fish till the cows come home, but you are treating symptoms not the cause. Even your decoration related issues, i dont believe they are caused by the decorations. Your fish are sick and dying through living in toxic water, they are just getting pulled into decorations due to water currents once they are already dead or well on the way.

None of this is helpful thank you...

Instead of bashing me why don’t you ask questions. What you said isn’t helping it’s inflammatory and rude for no reason. IM STILL LEARNING. I’m trying my very best the 20gal has nothing in it except decorations and plants and YES my fish died in the decoration. 1. Was stuck between the wall and the bottom over lip body wedged in the crevice 2. The second one got in it where my BUBBLE RING made an air pocket in the fish was floating in that pocket.

Im not bashing you. Im simply saying that a new thread clearly outlining what issues you are going through will be beneficial rather than continuing a single thread like a scatter gun.

Im telling you that your issues are being caused because your tank isnt cycled and how you can mitigate that until it is.

I dont believe that healthy fish will be killed by a decoration and they are unhealthy because the tank isnt cycled.

Everyone starts somewhere and many people go through what you are. Im sorry if you feel my words are inflammatory, that isnt my intension. Ill not comment further, but im giving you sound advice and I would have thought that is why you are here.

Also my tank parameters in the 15 gal since the 10th are as followed since you didn’t bother to find out before lecturing me about absolutely nothing I asked about in the last post on this thread about my 15 gallon tank which you’d understand if you bothered to read everything.

February 10th 5:45 pm gh(0) no3 (15) no2(1) cl2 (0.4) kh (120) ph( 7.5) ammo(0.5) did a water change the next morning(40-50%) February 11th 9:00pm gh(0) no3(50) no2(5) cl2(0) kh(120) ph(7.2) ammo(0.5) readded some live plants are.
Today before water change 9:30am (there was a heater malfunction in my standing water in a bucket had to wait for it to heat up) levels were gh(250) no3(50) no2(10) cl2(0) kh(80) ph(7.2) ammo(0.5)

Current parameters
Gh(100) no3(50) no2(10) cl2(0) kh(80) ph(6.8) ammo(0.5)

I’m gearing up for a another water change like I’m supposed to.

Unless my gourami could survive being forced into an air pocket at the top of the acrylic hide by a bubbler. (In example fish out of water syndrome) I doubt it was just water parameters because I found him inside that air pocket.

Attachments

• EAF4D2B0-B41B-4838-AB72-3367FEC7FF15.jpg
    EAF4D2B0-B41B-4838-AB72-3367FEC7FF15.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 8B871CFC-AFF1-4FD8-B485-A4E96C2D1632.jpg
    8B871CFC-AFF1-4FD8-B485-A4E96C2D1632.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 11
  • F65E67D9-6982-4A06-A3AE-3499DD771FA8.jpg
    F65E67D9-6982-4A06-A3AE-3499DD771FA8.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 33E8E563-8B08-4A88-AD98-2DA901932559.jpg
    33E8E563-8B08-4A88-AD98-2DA901932559.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
The water I used was tap water treated with Stress Coat+ [API] and quick start[API] in a trash can this trash can is also equipped with a Tetra whisper PF-10 and a 100w Aqueon Heater.
Be careful of water conditioners with Aloe Vera:

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

Reference Water Conditioners at this link.

Be careful of water conditioners with Aloe Vera:

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

Reference Water Conditioners at this link.
Yes, after I read that I quit using it after I used up the little I had

Back
Top Bottom