Melosu58`s seahorse diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems good ... As for the skimmer you are correct in skiping it because of the bubbles . I would continue even after you are up and running using carbon as well

Melosu58`s seahorse diary

Blazy got it, Tonga branch. I have a chunk in my tank. It's not too big, but if you want it, you can have it, mel! I actually took it out of my tank about a month ago, I have never put meds in my tank either. You are only a few hours away, so shipping might not be that much.

I already went today to the LFS and bought 12 lbs of tonga rock. Thanks anyway.

This the tank after a few days. It `s been running since Monday. All the Rock in it is cured LR. I`ll be getting the light for Christmas. I put in a few flakes to feed the nitrifying bacteria. I `ll post when I get the light.

Attachments

• 100_0445_145.jpg
    100_0445_145.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 211
You may want to add a bit more branches to your system and try to make it a weave of sorts it gives them more places to hang better filtration and better grounds for pods to populate JMHHO

I diagree sorry Mel. I have done a lot of research and have some very succesful sea horse keepers tell me that generally it is better to not have much LR if at all in a sh tank due to their tendancy to hurt themselves on the rock.

Do you know not to mix captive raised seahorses with wild collected horses or pipes?

Also, make sure you get ones that are comaptible as far as temp.

And I am sure you are aware how easily they become victims to disease due to weak immune systems.

I am sure you will do great because all the research you do! I am planning one in a year or so. The person I got much of my info. from about the LR, captive vrs. wild species etc. is a well known breeder.

Mine did well with the ammount of rock we had ... But this is opinion ... They require alot of hitching spots ...plain and simple . I had a redi and he use to come and hitch to my pinky for feedings ..... I do agree do not mix one with the other , CB/WC specimines it is true that if in the wrong envroment they can become stressed and diseased ..... also from the reading and talking with others that I have done most (not all ) have about a 1-2 year life span ... there are so many things to yet learn with these fascinating creatures :)

I agree Sadie as I have a long way to go in learning. I`ve already decided that I will get captive bred only. I`ve read that you can feed frozen to these while Wild caught have to be fed live foods. Also thanks Mike for the info , I`ll check more into it. I`ve been on other seahorse sites and I`ve seen many tanks with LR. Maybe I`ll just leave mine where it is at 1 lb per gallon. Maybe just add some of those fake tree sponges.

The amount of live rock isn't really a factor at all, and no, they do not hurt themselves on it.

Btw, you don't EVER buy wild caughts. Not only do you have a part in depleting wild populations (which isn't needed since there are hundreds of breeding projects out there), but you'd also be buying something that would cost a fortune to feed- and has an almost 90 percent more risk of getting a disease than captive bred.

As for buying from Dracomarine, good job! They are one of the very few seahorse breeders that supply healthy stock and know what they are doing. Seahorsesource (the choice place to buy a seahorse) is also worth looking into. If you want a great beginner species, try Erectus. You may be able to fit around 3-4 in a 30 gallon, but it would be best off by sticking with two to begin with. (stocking suggestion is for erectus only, some other species show variability) Make sure you also have a quarantine tank up beforehand. You really don't have an idea of how bad and complicated seahorse diseases can be :p.

As for the whole skimmer debate, there really isn't much conclusive data that says skimmers cause internal or external gas bubble disease. The micro bubbles are of some concern, but more so for male seahorses. The bubbles get caught in the pouch- leading to pouch emphysema is some cases. In some scenarios, skimmers are THOUGHT to be what causes it, but there are so many things that could have been the cause. Oversaturation of gases in the water, bacterial infections, etc. If your worried about gas bubble disease, look into Diamox (a pill for humans that causes bloating, etc. to go down with gas bubble disease).

As for getting the "pods" to breed, you mainly want amphipods (seahorses love these), copepods are also eaten by some individuals but very rarely.

Lastly, like said, DO NOT mix different species, and DO NOT mix seahorses with pipefish.

Hope that helps a bit Melosu, just remember, everyone on seahorse.org is always willing to help if you need it! Good luck with your new project, seahorses are my passion for obvious reasons!

flamingonhot said:
Hope that helps a bit Melosu, just remember, everyone on seahorse.org is always willing to help if you need it!

Already been there several times and it is a very nice place to go. Also I will be raising erectus seahorses. I appreciate your advice. That`s what this thread is about.

Here is the tank with the lighting. Hoping to add a little macro from my reef refugium and hopefully seahorses next week. I`ll have to add a small PH also

Attachments

• 100_0451_118.jpg
    100_0451_118.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 180
Mel you may want to consider using PVC pipe with holes drilled into it and suction cups to hold it to cover the heater and cap the bottom as well with a cap for PVC it prevents them from hitching onto it and getting burned . The other thing to consider is that it is glass you may want to look into a titanium one with the PVC as well .It is comming along very well !

I dont really want to put PVC around it. Maybe I can run it horizontal at the top or maybe I can put LR around it. Just guessing.

Someone else suggested a coarse grade mesh around it. Thanks Sadie for reccomending that about the heater. That could have been a real disaster. Anybody else see something I missed.

Perhaps a larger filter and a smaller heater like these
titanium heater
that you could place it into the filter it would also clean up the tank a bit ?
Glad to have helped ya Mel :D tho I am not sure how much help I was :?
img_750892_0_2c931ce86f5fafeefa45f697f99f8b0a.jpg

This comes in black or blue you could wire tie it to itself by puching holes in it and if you paint the back you would be hiding it to the back ground ?It is found in craft stores it is called plastic sewing canvis and is very easy to cut

Now that could be doable. How about a smaller heater in the cartridge area of the emporer. That area is pretty deep. It would be like a small sump area.

Back
Top Bottom