MH Lighting 4" over 75g tank - HEAT??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All,

I am planning my upgrade and I am looking to get a MH fixture from Current. Its 2x150@10K + 2x130PC Actinic with electronic ballasts'

The problem is, I can not hang it over my tank, so I will be using the "legs". That will place it appox 2-3" above my tank. The tank dims are 48x18x20

Should I be concerned about heat? The tank will have at least a 20g sump and a separate 10g fuge. I will have a heater in each of the sumps/fuges and there will be no powerheads in the main. Flow will come form the returns and a closed loop system. I will probably have a small fan in the cabinet to keep that area cool as well.

My current set up only has PC lighting, so I do not know what to expect as far as heat exchange. I can not afford a chiller at the moment, although I will have one before next summer. The tank should be up and running in Sept, so hopefully the weather in so cali will cool down a bit.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

John

That was my concern as well, so I am considering going 8x54 T5 lighting since it's so much cooler.

I have PC also.

Should I be concerned about heat?
Yes. Going by what I have- 2x250 MH/ 2x110w VHO 10" over a 55gal in a canopy- I think you will be alright. The fixture your buying is enclosed and has it's own fans right?
The tank will have at least a 20g sump and a separate 10g fuge....there will be no powerheads in the main
That will help dissipate/eliminate heat also.
I can not afford a chiller at the moment, although I will have one before next summer. The tank should be up and running in Sept, so hopefully the weather in so cali will cool down a bit.
So in a worst case scenario you will just have to blow a fan across the top of the tank for a short while or put some 2x4's under the fixture to lift it- Although I don't think either will be necessary.

The fixture your buying is enclosed and has it's own fans right?

Yeah, the fixture has its own cooling fans and an internal electronic ballats, which I have heard run cooler. is this true?

Going by what I have- 2x250 MH/ 2x110w VHO 10" over a 55gal in a canopy

I am not going to have a canopy. Its going to be an open top with the fixture above. That shoudl help as well.

Thanks

internal electronic ballats, which I have heard run cooler. is this true?
Yes E-ballast run cooler than magnetic.
am not going to have a canopy. Its going to be an open top with the fixture above
That's what I was assuming, that should help dissipate heat more efficiently as well. HTH

Back
Top Bottom