Missing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok got up this morning checked out the tank, and i didnt see all of my clown loaches only 1, didnt think much of it cause they are usually hiding anyway, but then later i checked again still missing 2 of them, so i started picking stuff up to try to scare them out just to make sure they were still there, and to my suprise they were gone, i have no idea what happend to them, last night my wife said she thought she saw 2 of them swimming around, but wasnt absolutely sure, i have 3 balas and had 3 clown loaches all around 2 inches accept 1 bala that is 3 inches. i also have a 12 inch pleco given to me cause a guy got rid of his tank and didnt want to see it die. So i checked everywhere and have no idea.

Are clown loaches jumpers, could have my daughter opened the top and left it openand they jumped out, also do dog's eat dead fish, cause if so i probably wont find them. And the last question i just rearanged my tanks decor because we got some new plants and i didnt have room to put them in, and because of this my pleco has been much more active , he usually hides all the time but because of the rearange has been out all the time, could this have anything to do with it?
thanks
Mitch

Actually, I'd wait a few days. I've actually taken ornaments out of the tank thinking my loaches were gone...and they were inside the ornament that was sitting on the ground. Don't give up just yet. Make sure the lights are off and check as well.

I don't know about dogs eating fish, sorry, but I assume they might. And yes, loaches can get out of tanks.

Sorry, wish I could help more.

Yes I agree. I have done this same thing with loaches and other fish that I was positive were gone.

The dog and jumping could be a possibility.

The changing around could absolutely be a factor.

Can you darken the room and throw some good food in, see what happens?

ok well i went to work when i got off had a voice message from wife saying all 3 were in there, atleast i think thats what she said, havent gotten to talk to her yet, came home, me and my 2 buddies looked around and now we can find 2 of them, so im guessing they are just very good hiders, this makes me feel much better. thanks alot guys ill keep ya updated haha
Mitch

Have you checked your substrate? i'm not sure if cl's are diggers, but I wouldn't put it past 'em.

A related story; I remember when i was about 7 I had wanted my dad's 30 gal in my room, and so there is where it went. After about a week, I had forgotten to close the tank top before bed. I heard a splash before drifting off, but thought nothing of it. I dozed off.
I awoke in the morning, stepped out of my bed, straight onto a dry, hard opaline gourami.
I was sort of freightened.

Back
Top Bottom