Missing guppy odd mystery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fibsog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tan
I set up a bew 20g recently and to start things off i added 1 killy (2inches) and a female guppy. After 2 days they were both gone, and nowhere to be seen, inside or out of the tank. Well i looked in the filter and 4 dead guppy fry flew out (heartbreak) but so sign. Any ideas? I don't think the killy ate the guppy though....

Killies are amazing jumpers, and guppies can be amazing deathers (not always the hardiest of fish IME). If the killie was big enough to swallow the guppy, it would probably would have. If you have pets or kids that might have eaten a fish that jumped out, that is a possibility. It also could be that they decomposed quickly. Hard to say, but it can happen. I have definitely had fish disappear without a trace.

I had a guppy that would disappear for a day here and there, Houdini was his name, he dies after a couple weeks though..

That's a tough one, guppys may be hit or miss with the cycle, I cycled a 10 gal with 5 guppies, still have 2, 2 died a couple months after and 1 died a few weeks ago.. They seem to either die after a week or live for a little while, with a cycle it'd be hard to tell if your tank killed them or they just died for guppy reasons..

Do you think she died in labor and the killy ate her

It honestly could be anything. That is a possibility. Guppies are often just not that hardy and die off early for seemingly no reason. Then, I have had a couple live for years.

Back
Top Bottom