Missing Scales + Cloudy Eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitty_Cosmo2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

*He is a platinum dragonscale betta, both of his eyes are cloudy but it's probably just the overload of pigment that dragonscales can get. What worries me more is that he's starting to lose scales. He's not rubbing on anything that I've noticed and I made sure all of his decor is betta safe.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
*ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all either 0 or low enough that the tests aren't picking it up. Temp is 77.5-78, ph is 6.8

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

*5.5 gallon, set up for 5 months but he's only been in there for 2. Was trying to keep shrimp for a bit and failed, cleaned the tank really well but kept the filter media so the bacteria wasn't all gone.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

*top fin silent stream 10 gph (came with a 10 gallon kit) and I have it at half flow strength so probably less than 10 gph. Don't use the cartridges, instead I have a bit of sponge, a little pack of carbon, and a little pack of the ceramic bacteria cylinder things.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

*Just Joel (betta) and Uncle Tommy (snail)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

*2 days ago, so 10/9/20 and the sand was vacuumed. I do it once a week but I did it twice this past week since he's being weird. I take out 1-1.5 gallons

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

*2 months, put him in a bucket and slowly added tank water over about 45 minutes, replaced the missing tank water with fresh water then added Joel in.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
*nothing recent enough, it was a tower decoration about a month ago

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

*same diet of Aqueon Betta Pellets, Omega One Betta Flakes, and freeze dried bloodworms and mysis shrimp as treats. He is still eating perfectly normally.

Anyway, with all of that listed, I'm really just looking for opinions. The first forum I posted in only one person responded to so I'm just looking for more input.

Pretty sure his eyes are doing the scale over growth thing. I don't know how old he is, he was the biggest non-king betta in the store. I've already been training him to go to a feeding ring since I knew he could go blind.

Not sure what's going on with his missing scales. There's one or two more gone every day. I just put in a bit of stress coat for the aloe in it and the water is being medicated with kanaplex (antibacterial and antifungal). Those have only been in for .5 days and 1.5 days respectfully.

So if anyone has a guess as to what it the issue could be I'd greatly appreciate it.

Some pics from 4 days ago, missing a few more scales on face and body now.

95667fb7-3340-4582-a01f-d28a67181703-jpeg.1022352

f1138974-feb4-4bf1-b52d-6b90ac21067f-jpeg.1022353

6d5ceec0-f16a-40d7-8b0d-affc9ebcd9e4-jpeg.1022350

f1138974-feb4-4bf1-b52d-6b90ac21067f-jpeg.1022353

Attachments

• Joel 1.jpg
    Joel 1.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Joel 4.jpg
    Joel 4.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Joel 3.jpg