Mlani's Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope she doesn't now I'm thinking of flying my grandpa in to take care of them

Mabey ill ask him he did have 50 tanks at one point he breed them and two ponds but got a bit to old to o water changes and couldn't care for all the asks

WOW! Yes I would definitely get Grampa to watch yours then! I'm getting supper ready then my boy has lacrosse. I'll do another water change when I get home from that. I hope the worst is over. The one tank that I'm over protective of and its a mess :-S (not that I don't care for my other tanks)

Lost another rasbora .. Down to 3 in that group, from fifteen to three .. I did two really big water changes even though my readings are perfect. I wish I had a friggin clue what is going on in that tank!

Yes..so far I've flushed 8 out of 25 the rest of the bodies I think may have been eaten? Today no deaths..I think I may be out of the "woods" finally. I don't think I'm going to replace the schools I've lost. Instead (once the tank has proven itself to be sustainable again) I think I'm going to get more cories and a couple more glass cats. Just in case it has been the discus eating them I don't want to risk getting anymore smaller fish for that tank.

He swears they did nothing to the tank at all. He said they fed them but I do know they didn't get a lot (I looked in the freezer) I wonder if some of the fish did turn on the others as food? I've never not fed my fish so I'm not sure if they would or how long it would take for them to decide to. I was away for two nights, three days.
Hopefully your mom cares more about your hobby than my family does mine? ;-)

I'm not sure but the exact thing happen to ova and ova before I came to the conclusion that my fish knew i was gone and then and only then did they start to devour each other......never when I'm home other then a little chasing here and there,and a friend told me just like dogs and cats gets stress when there owner leaves so do fish,not sure if that's true but my fish gets happy as idk what when they see me so it could be possible they stress when they don't,especially if there aware of around the time u usually get home

You know that makes sense.. I'm a stay at home mom, so I rarely go anywhere. I know that my fish get excited to see me (especially in that tank) they look for me when I'm just sitting in the room they will always school right by where I'm sitting. I've even tested it by moving to different spots and they follow lol! There are a lot of things that I do differently than my family when it comes to my tanks. So maybe there is something to what you've mentioned. Thank you.

You know that makes sense.. I'm a stay at home mom, so I rarely go anywhere. I know that my fish get excited to see me (especially in that tank) they look for me when I'm just sitting in the room they will always school right by where I'm sitting. I've even tested it by moving to different spots and they follow lol! There are a lot of things that I do differently than my family when it comes to my tanks. So maybe there is something to what you've mentioned. Thank you.

I know right?.... Especially when they rock their heads side to side in excitement to see me .....

Ok so my fish are still dropping like flies in the winter window panes. So far the count is up to 32. :( I pulled my albino cory out tonight... I'm at a complete loss and I'm terrified that I'm going to lose the entire tank. That's Troopers castle..I can't lose Trooper!! I don't know wtf I'm going to do. I've tried everything I can think of. Please if anyone has any ideas please I don't care how off the wall they might be please tell me. I just can't think of more that I haven't tried.

Ok so my fish are still dropping like flies in the winter window panes. So far the count is up to 32. :( I pulled my albino cory out tonight... I'm at a complete loss and I'm terrified that I'm going to lose the entire tank. That's Troopers castle..I can't lose Trooper!! I don't know wtf I'm going to do. I've tried everything I can think of. Please if anyone has any ideas please I don't care how off the wall they might be please tell me. I just can't think of more that I haven't tried.

So sorry Mlani:( is there any marks on the fish? Fungus, swollen eyes or mouth? Is your paras ok incase there's a decaying fish in there? You're ph ok no changes in it? Trying to think of everything really wish I could help.

You could go to your fish store and pay them to have a seperate tank for trooper then when you get it fixed you could put him back in

There's no bodies and no signs on the bodies I've pulled out. Their eyes have been white and some of their bellies look like they exploded, not all of them though. I'm going to tear it down again tomorrow. (This will be the third time in the last two weeks) see if I can see any bodies I may have missed? I have other tanks but they all have occupants (except my sons tank) I do have the qt I could use for Trooper and his buddies but I don't want to stress them out more than they already are too. No one has shown any signs of sickness before death. I'm so bloody confused it hurts my head just thinking about it right now.

There's no bodies and no signs on the bodies I've pulled out. Their eyes have been white and some of their bellies look like they exploded, not all of them though. I'm going to tear it down again tomorrow. (This will be the third time in the last two weeks) see if I can see any bodies I may have missed? I have other tanks but they all have occupants (except my sons tank) I do have the qt I could use for Trooper and his buddies but I don't want to stress them out more than they already are too. No one has shown any signs of sickness before death. I'm so bloody confused it hurts my head just thinking about it right now.

Hi,
I am so sorry for your loss! I do not know if you live in an area where it snows but, the water that you as using may need to be tested before you do your water change.
What does snow have to do with it? I know that here in New Jersey , if salt is applied to the roads, we see a significant rise of saline and other minerals) in the water that comes from the tap.
I don't know if you use RO water but I would start there and look at all the decor in the tank. I have found that just because it says "aquarium safe" does not mean it is for the type of fish you have. Also there are things that can be in the water that normal testing will not show( like lead). Also check the bag or bags of food you use. Pour it all out in a clear plastic bag and give it look. The smallest piece of mold can spoil the whole lot. Constipation could account for the exploding fish bellies but my guess is not enough good bacteria in the gut to help with digestion. Or it could be just the natural decomposition. Hope this helps and again my sympathy on your loss.

You tries almond leaves they're apparently good for recovering fish! Also try chucking all the air pumps you have in your house in get as much oxygen to them gills as you can I read somewhere that 9 times out of 10 when a fish is a little sick it dies when it doesn't really need to and not from the initial illness it's more from the illness and added stress reducing the efficiency of the gills and 9 times out of 10 if you can get enough oxygen into that water they will come round rather than die. I'm guessing you've tried all the normal things to do and like you said need things a bit off the wall give them a try and see :) sorry for your loss I've never had a wipe out in a tank (touch wood) but some of my mates have and I've seen second hand the effects! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom