Molly acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks - I have a golden molly that has been acting a little funny and I'm worried. I've found him a couple of times "resting" at the bottom of the tank. He's been on his abdomen, flipping fins just a little - not on his side. He may also be looking thinner... hard to say.

This most recent time I was away for two days and he was on the bottom when I came home. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 but nitrates are at 20ppm. I did a 50% water change. He came to the top to eat and has been swimming around.

In the last couple of weeks, here are the new things I've done: I did start adding a little bit of aquarium salt to my tank (2 tbs for my 10g tank - and then adding 1/2 tsp/gallon when I do water changes). I also added hornwort because my other molly seems to be pregnant and I was trying to add hiding places for her fry. Finally, I added a nerite snail.

I use seachem prime at water changes and tropical fish flake food once a day. I occasionally break up an algae wafer and put it in. The tank has a gravel substrate, 6 plants, 2 mollies and 3 danios. My tank runs cool (76-78 degrees -pre-set heater)

I don't have a qt :(

Help!

I'm not an expert but the salt might help him out. I had my mollies in brackish water and they loved it. I hear pet mollies don't need brackish water but mine appreciated it, so I'm sure the salt will help your little fish.

I hope someone can help you further. Mollies are such adorable fish.

Katanas - because swords are awesome! (Even swordtails!)

Thanks. I added a small amount of aquarium salt but he just got worse and worse and eventually died :( I tried to buy a treatment at the LFS but the clerk insisted that I shouldn't treat him unless I had a good idea of what I was trying to treat... I should have insisted.

Back
Top Bottom