Monster Goldfish at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the LFS today and I saw this beast. I really want to buy him/her but he/she would be going into the trough with a couple common goldfish that are about 7 inches roughly. Don't know if it is a good idea or not. I am going to make a 270 gallon pond this summer, and all the goldfish are going to move there.

Full Body Shot:
2q9e59v.jpg

With a little guy:
30kvvkp.jpg

Isn't he cool or what?

$25. I'm sure this guy is over a foot if you include fins.

Does anyone think it is a good idea to buy this guy? Really want him... Going to have to go back to trade in some shrimp anyways.

You seem to be pretty excite about it, so I say you buy him/her as long as you have enough room for it :)

Yeah, we are going to buy him/her if he/she is still here :) Also going to buy another fancy so there are two commons and two fancies, that way they can have a buddy.

Are the pictures loading for you guys alright?

The trough they are in is probably at least 500 gallons, maybe closer to 1000, not sure because it is a weird shape. Then this summer they will be in a 270G pond with live plants and a filter :)

Yeah, we are going to buy him/her if he/she is still here :) Also going to buy another fancy so there are two commons and two fancies, that way they can have a buddy.

The trough they are in is probably at least 500 gallons, maybe closer to 1000, not sure because it is a weird shape. Then this summer they will be in a 270G pond with live plants and a filter :)

The pics loaded ok here.

Love the colors! He/She would look great in a pond with those colors.

(y)

Wow, amazing looking guy/gal! I would love to put him/her in my 60 gallon, but it would just be cruel and unhealthy, of course...:(

Next time around: A bigger tank! :dance:

How big of a tank would I need if I need to keep him/her inside over the winter?
Seeing this guy makes me laugh that they only need 20 gallons... I could not see him in a 20 gal :lol:

How big of a tank would I need if I need to keep him/her inside over the winter?
Seeing this guy makes me laugh that they only 20 gallons... I could not see him in a 20 gal :lol:

They had him in a 20 GALLON?

That's not even worthy of laughing over; that's just cruel...:nono:

They had him in a 20 GALLON?

That's not even worthy of laughing over; that's just cruel...:nono:

No no no, I think they had him in a 55 or something, it was really big. Along with 2 other fancies. Bare bottom tank with a huge filter.
They take great care of their fish. The store has been there since '84, and they've never taken the tanks down. Imagine the biological filters they have!

No no no, I think they had him in a 55 or something, it was really big. Along with 2 other fancies. Bare bottom tank with a huge filter.
They take great care of their fish. The store has been there since '84, and they've never taken the tanks down. Imagine the biological filters they have!

So, you were saying they only NEED 20 gallons, the larger goldies like that?

So, you were saying they only NEED 20 gallons, the larger goldies like that?

No, when I was thinking about getting goldfish a while ago, I was reading up on minimum tank size. Most everywhere said 20-25 gallons per fancy goldfish. Which, at the time seemed like plenty of space, and much better then the bowls that I was taught to be okay when I was younger.

Now seeing this goldfish in person and not pictures online, I can honestly say, I don't think 20 gallons is even enough.
Now, if it were a choice between a bowl and a 20 gallons, I would go with 20 gallons. But, if I was able to have a 55 gallon tank, I would choose a 55 gallon tank and have three in there, and eventually upgrade them to a pond during the spring, summer and fall, where they could stay inside in the 55 gallon during the winter.

Sorry if I came across as ignorant, I was just thinking how bad it would be for a fish this size to be in a 20 gallon, and that is what everyone recommends as the minimum for goldfish. Would I put a goldfish this size in a 20 gallon tank? No, of course not!

Hope that clears what I was trying to say up :)

I never thought you came across as being "ignorant"...;)

Essentially, though, you're saying 20 gallons is what would be "recommended" for one fancy based on age-old criteria and such, and it's just ridiculous to assume so? I would have to agree...

I never thought you came across as being "ignorant"...;)

Essentially, though, you're saying 20 gallons is what would be "recommended" for one fancy based on age-old criteria and such, and it's just ridiculous to assume so? I would have to agree...

:lol: I just wanted to make myself clear so there was no confusions :)
Yes, you are exactly right on! :)

Back
Top Bottom