More filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
After hearing about aqadvisor.com I visited the site. Everything I have going on is fine except that it said I was only at 38% on my filtration. 38% OMG!!! I have a 15g with a tetra whisper pf10. What filtration would you add? I'm on a budget so keep price in mind. Thanks!!!

I'd,

the pf10 is for tanks up to 10g. You need the tetra ex20, designed for tanks 10 - 20g. or any brand for tanks 15 and up You can always use a filter bigger than whats needed but never smaller.

In this case, you need another filter, but you could get another like yours which effectively doubles your filtration.

Yeah so pissed at my local Petco right now. I bought a 15g KIT from them. They knew I was new to this... If it was a KIT why did it include a filter that was too small??

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could add? I don't have more than one tank and don't plan on getting any more so I don't want this 10g filter doing nothing. I would prefer to over filter anyway if it came down to over/under. I have mostly Platys and know they are poop machines!!

I would march yourself back up to Petco and ask that they exchange the filter with a bigger one. Tell them that you will pay the difference between the 2 but that they should have never sold you what they did. The difference would only be about $10.

Ok I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is mad about this. I feel so cheated!
But my concern is I have platy fry and shrimp so I'm worried about taking out the filter that is cycled and exchanging it for one that isn't. Will it be safe? Or would it be safer to just chalk up the loss as a learning experience and buy another small filter to add to the tank?

Also does anyone agree with me that Petco should fix this for me since it was a freaking kit?

Not to sound too cynical, but I'd doubt some at your Petco understand the concept of over filtration. A filters a filter.

BTW when you say a kit, was it in a box ... like an Aqueon kit for example? If so, don't waste your breath ... they'll say it's what comes with the kit. Now if it was a kit they bundled together ... then yes I'd say you have a shot.

Ok I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is mad about this. I feel so cheated!
But my concern is I have platy fry and shrimp so I'm worried about taking out the filter that is cycled and exchanging it for one that isn't. Will it be safe? Or would it be safer to just chalk up the loss as a learning experience and buy another small filter to add to the tank?

If your looking to exchange for a larger filter, just keep the filter media to seed your new filter media. If's its a totally different type of media, cut up your old to shove it in your new filter.

If your adding a second filter, then just run them together and it'll eventually seed.

It was a kit that they built. And I know that most chain stores don't know what they are talking about, but this guy that sold it to me was talking about how he breeds fish. I thought I could trust him :(

Really I'm more concerned about my fish than money or principles...

Is it safe to not have a filter for a couple of hours? I just a worry wart!! I really love those tiny yellow with black fin platy fry!

It was a kit that they built. And I know that most chain stores don't know what they are talking about, but this guy that sold it to me was talking about how he breeds fish.

Actually, it is possible to successfully run a tank that is under filtered or even with NO filter. The secret is either, or a combo of plenty of PWC's, proper stocking and or heavily planting the tank.

There's not an earth shattering difference between a 10 and 15gal so a 10gal filter can probably do a decent job with your 15gal ... especially if you plant and up-keep maintenance. Now a 20gal with a 10gal filter's is where it gets a bit dicey for some.

Jcolon: I was just thinking that that extra 5g filtration wouldn't make up the 62% that aqadvisor said I was missing. I'm sure that most of my problems are 1: I have plastic plants (for now) because I was too scared to start out with real ones. 2: I have Platys and they are poop machines.

Aquadvisor's a nice tool, but don't take it as gospel. In your case, I'd opt to try and upgrade to a 20gal filter at minimum ... 30gal is ideal if you can adjust the flow.

Plants are easy if you go with low light plants like Java Fern and moss, Anubias and Crypts. With the first 3, a standard stock hood and lights should provide enough light for photosynthesis. I would definitely consider live plants ... your shrimp will tank you as well.

jcolon said:
Actually, it is possible to successfully run a tank that is under filtered or even with NO filter. The secret is either, or a combo of plenty of PWC's, proper stocking and or heavily planting the tank.

If I decide to go ahead and get some plants to help filter, what would you guys suggest? I have a death touch for plants! I even killed a mini Xmas tree. Hopefully aquatic plants like me more...

jcolon said:
Aquadvisor's a nice tool, but don't take it as gospel. In your case, I'd opt to try and upgrade to a 20gal filter at minimum ... 30gal is ideal if you can adjust the flow.

So I'm going to go for the gold metal of dumb questions. What do you mean adjust the flow and why would I need to?

Back
Top Bottom