More lighting for a 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Well, i have a 10G tank that im starting up pretty soon, just trying to gather all the equipment.

I was thinking, could i use this light for the 10G? Or will it fry my inhabitants lol.

The tank is 20" long.. so i haven't really found any T5 fixtures for something that short, only 24"

Also, i'm guessing this IceCap fixture doesn't come with bulbs so how much are MH bulbs for a fixture like this?

250/400W HQI Double Ended Pendant by IceCap - AquaCave

Way overkill for a 10g buddy. I would just go for PC, Current USA makes a 2x40w PC fixture that is 20" long. Since 10g tanks aren't very deep, it should allow you to keep softies, LPS, and a good portion of SPS.

Well are there any MH pendants that i could get for a 10G or better yet, what wattage of MH would be ok for a 10G? Or are MH just not made for 10G's lol.

Plus, aren't PC light bulbs expensive?

Well.. on the off chance i can't get a MH for my 10G what would you guys say to this fixture? Could i keep a nice range of coral with it? I like this one better than the standard 2x40W because it has a lunar light... and it's actually cheaper. But it's still made by the same people..

http://www.aquacave.com/20-2x40w-satellite-pc-fixturebr-by-current-usa-903.html

24 bucks for a bulb? I can live with that lol.. that's like 24/yr which isn't that bad imo..

I think i might be going with the one i linked.. It's definitely on my budget, i just want to know if i can keep some cool coral with these lights. Softies for sure, but i really like the SPS and LPS to.. so..

MH is just too intense for a 10g. You would be able to keep softies, LPS, and a good portion of the SPS with that light. Bulbs are best replaced around the 7th month of use as that's when they start to go bad IME. Just order them online and you should be fine. As Aq1 mentioned, make sure you get the correct pin configuration.

Well that's a disappointment lol, can't use MH. :( But anyways, who cares. As long as i can keep some nice coral with that light i think i'll be fine. Thanks for the help thom, and thanks for the link to the bulbs A1 lol.

Bump*

Ok, so i need to decide between these two fixtures, but im not sure which one, because what is the difference between the 50/50 fixture and the 6700k fixture? does one have a better bulb than the other? What's your guys opinions on these two fixtures and which one would i be better off getting if i wanted softies, lps, sps, etc.. except for some of the harder to keep coral and nems. Dont want those lol.

http://www.marineandreef.com/20_inch_Compact_Fluorescent_Fixtures_Power_Compact_s/280.htm

Yeah that price does in fact suck, but you gota think. It's just one bulb. Instead of like 2, or 4, or 6. Ya know? Let's say i would buy that 2x40W fixture.. the bulbs are 24-25$ a piece.. that's 50$ for replacement bulbs. If i got a T5 fixture with 6 or 4 bulbs.. then that's like also 20-25$ per bulb.. so that's even MORE. I'd say that a fixture that can support a large range of coral is worth the 50$ every year on a SINGLE bulb. Plus.. i could probably find them for less at amazon, ebay, idk, private classifieds.. who knows. And i can definitely afford 50$ for a bulb every 7-8 months.. give or take a week or two.

Lol.. ok then.. add shipping costs. :p

Plus, 4 * 13 = 52 and 6 * 13 = 78.. see where im going with this? These lights are all relative honestly. Until you start paying big bucks for MH or VHO, and the larger T5 fixtures.. then of course they are lots more money for replacements.

So in a 10g couldn't you keep almost anything under those 96w (except maybe a nem since I hear they need bigger tanks)? Btw, if u get em, don't forget the mounting legs lol. Hopefully someone wouldn't get blinded with light that bright :lol:

I told you zero, PCs suck. What about a clip on MH?

oh, the 50/50 means one side of the bulb is blue and the other is white.

MH is too intense for a 10g. Zero, Coralife Aqualight PC sucks, that's just a fact. Not going to be surprised if Coralife discontinues the quad-tube bulbs and the fixtures too. Current USA already discontinued their quad-tube bulbs, so I'm sure Coralife isn't too far behind.

****.. i can't believe this junk. I guess im not going with the coralife. I remembered a while back that it was a bad option anyways, and that i was most likely going to go with the 20" Satellite PC fixture when they cam back in stock, because marineandreef and aquacave both don't have the fixture i need in stock.

Honestly, i would love that clip on MH.. but that one just seems like a ridiculous amount of money, plus thom may be right in suggesting MH is too much for a 10G..

I'm a little lost as what to do as far as lighting goes.. Anymore suggestions anyone? I'm really trying to keep the lighting under 200$.. since its only a 10G and i'd rather not pay the same amount of money for a light fixture that i did for my 55G.. that would just defeat the purpose of downscalling to a 10G.

So like.. what about LED lighting?
Found this and it says one fixture per 20" of tank.. i haz 20" of tank! :p

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3666/product.web

or this:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=2818

They sound great although Im not good with lighting so you'll have to wait till someone chimes in. Currently, they seem like you best/most affordable/only(if you include the affordable part lol) option.

Back
Top Bottom