Moss Ball advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a moss ball with my betta for a while. I have added Alge fix due to the problem in my tank. The weather is warmer and it seems to be a little problem even with pwc every two weeks. But now my moss ball isn't looking good and isn't bright green like it was. I read not to add anything that kills algae. Can I take it out and revive it in tap water mine is well water to bring it back. I bought another one to put in thinking this one is done and toss it. But now I wonder if I can save it. My tank is 5.5 gallons and all parameters are good so it is not that. Can I have two in the tank if this one revives? Thanks for helping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well if you have an algae problem, then you have dirty water. Do at least 40% water changes a week, no excuse. The smaller the tank the more maintenance. You do need some lighting for moss balls but not much. Even indirect sunlight will do fine. Also rotate the balls when you do water changes. If the balls have brown or white on it then do rotations.

The thing about the moss ball is that it is not moss but actually a type of green algae. You might be able to save it. Just keep up with the water changes. If it does not improve, then remove it before it starts fouling the water. Yes, you can have more than one in that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool water

In the “wild”, Marimo only appears in cooler areas like Iceland and northern Japan. It therefore prefers cooler water – if the container/aquarium it’s in gets a bit hot (25+ degrees C/77 F) during summer, consider moving the Marimo to a slightly cooler place for a few months. It can actually be placed in the refrigerator during the hotter months, but a spot near an airco is also fine.

Sick Marimo

Although Marimo balls can withstand a range of temperatures and water condition, they may turn a strange color – this is an indication that something is wrong.
Marimo turning white / lighter means that it is probably receiving too much light. If the Marimo also seems a bit slimy or if its texture seems otherwise unusual, you may be dealing with a hostile type of algae growing around it. These algae choke the slow-growing Marimo, so it’s best to carefully wash them off or remove them with tweezers.
Marimo turning brown may be a sign that it’s time to gently clean it. If this doesn’t fix it, try carefully picking off the brown (dead) parts and adding a bit of salt to the water to stimulate the Marimo’s growth. If the bottom of the Marimo has turned brown because it didn’t receive light for longer periods of time, be sure to start rolling the Marimo around a bit more often to prevent parts of it from dying off again.
Marimo turning black and/or falling apart Marimo are unfortunately known to start decaying from the inside out sometimes, especially when it has been covered by hostile algae for a while or when it is simply too big for clean water to reach the inside. In order for it to become healthy again, the black parts should be removed and the Marimo should be gently re-rolled. It’ll be smaller than it was before, but it now has a good chance of surviving and growing back just fine!

Back
Top Bottom