Moss problem!!! Help!!!;(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon tank that has been overgrown with moss!!!! Help please!! I have cleaned it all off and it just grows back!!! How can i get rid of it???

Have you tried bleaching the entire inside of the tank and letting the bleach stay on over night?

The only way I know is to mechanically remove everything you can then remove your rocks and scrub them down under hot water with a brush or pad and take out your wood scrape and it down with a spoon. Yesterday I pulled out a bunch of stragglers that came up from under my glosso. Such a pain. I'm about ready to eradicate it from my own tank.

image-2257808498.jpg
It's all over my plastic plants!!

image-817305491.jpg
It's on my slate rock formation!!

image-4126038584.jpg
And its on my big fake log!!

I have 1 piece of driftwood and 2 live plants and no moss is on them!!

Good call Coursair.
It's hard to tell from the photos but that looks like a kind of brown filamentous algae and not java moss. What's your setup: lights, filtration, fertilizers?

Not sure on my light...no fertilizer and I have 2 emperor penguin 350b filters they r rated up to 70 gallons each

Fish4bass8 said:
Not sure on my light...no fertilizer and I have 2 emperor penguin 350b filters they r rated up to 70 gallons each

If your lightbulbs are old algae growth is usually an indicator. You've got plenty of filtration and I'm sure you clean the pads. Ever considered using liquid fertilizers? Some Flourish and Excel would probably help your plants to out-compete the algae, but it wont work if your lightbulbs are past their useful lifespan. My guess is something as simple as replacing your bulbs would be a big help in solving your algae battle. Can you check to see what type of light you have? There are loads of cheap places to get new lights. Even walmart has good replacement bulbs.

CorallineAlgae said:
If your lightbulbs are old algae growth is usually an indicator. You've got plenty of filtration and I'm sure you clean the pads. Ever considered using liquid fertilizers? Some Flourish and Excel would probably help your plants to out-compete the algae, but it wont work if your lightbulbs are past their useful lifespan. My guess is something as simple as replacing your bulbs would be a big help in solving your algae battle. Can you check to see what type of light you have? There are loads of cheap places to get new lights. Even walmart has good replacement bulbs.

Well algae isn't any of my worries!! I have 4 plecos and they do a very nice job cleaning the tank!! I have a moss I need gone!! Please realize that I don't have any other moss in any other of. My tanks!!

Fish4bass8 said:
Well algae isn't any of my worries!! I have 4 plecos and they do a very nice job cleaning the tank!! I have a moss I need gone!! Please realize that I don't have any other moss in any other of. My tanks!!

What we are trying to tell you is that's NOT Moss.
It's an Algae. Plecos don't eat every kind of Algae.

Coursair said:
What we are trying to tell you is that's NOT Moss.
It's an Algae. Plecos don't eat every kind of Algae.

Wow!! Thanks for correcting me!!;) so will a snail eat it? Like a apple snail or a nitrite snail?

Fish4bass8 said:
Will any kind of fish or invertebrate clean it up???

Any reason why you don't want to try to address what may be causing it to grow so out of control? That's always a better fix, long term, than adding a new animal. Still, if your tank is big enough you could always try a true Siamese algae eater (not to be confused with a Chinese algae eater). I could use one myself. Love those guys!

I would make a temp tank for the night, and just bleach it, that way u don't try a million "hopefully it will works" and you just get it taken care of.

Algae
The main thing is to address why you have Algae.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/algae/a/attackalgae.htm

Too much Light
Too much Food
Not enough Water Changes

It's one or all of them.
A little Algae is normal, a lot means something is out of balance.

I don't have an algae problem.
I do have algae eaters, but I supplement them.
Otos, snails and Shrimp. Plus LOTS of plants to compete with the Algae, plus lights are on timers, plus weekly PWCs.

Test your water. Consider a blackout or only use light for 5-6 hrs a day, till you figure this out.

Less Light or More CO2 plus clean tank and good water quality equals less Algae.

Coursair said:
Algae
The main thing is to address why you have Algae.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/algae/a/attackalgae.htm

Too much Light
Too much Food
Not enough Water Changes

It's one or all of them.
A little Algae is normal, a lot means something is out of balance.

I don't have an algae problem.
I do have algae eaters, but I supplement them.
Otos, snails and Shrimp. Plus LOTS of plants to compete with the Algae, plus lights are on timers, plus weekly PWCs.

Test your water. Consider a blackout or only use light for 5-6 hrs a day, till you figure this out.

Less Light or More CO2 plus clean tank and good water quality equals less Algae.

Should I get ottos and snails with my pleco?? I have 2 live plants I grew from a sack of randomized bulbs! My lights rnt on timers but I try to only give them 8-10 hours of light....I have a air pump up to 40 gallons in there if thats what u mean by the CO2 thing and I ALWAWS do a 50% weekly water change!!!

Back
Top Bottom