Moss problem!!! Help!!!;(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish4bass8 said:
Should I get ottos and snails with my pleco?? I have 2 live plants I grew from a sack of randomized bulbs! My lights rnt on timers but I try to only give them 8-10 hours of light....I have a air pump up to 40 gallons in there if thats what u mean by the CO2 thing and I ALWAWS do a 50% weekly water change!!!

Did you read what I wrote ? Did you read the article ?

Do Not add more critters till you balance your tank !!

Reduce your lighting for now.
Test your water and please post results. Test your Tap Water also if you would.

How big a tank ? A 75g right ?
How big are Plecos? 4 Common Plecos ?
They are poop machines and may actually be part of the problem. What other fish exactly ??

NOTHING eats this kind of Algae !!! It's not food.
You need to find out Why you have it.

Exactly What kind of lighting ?? CFL ? Fluorescent tube (s) please post this detail !!

What exact bulb(s) ?? What specs are written on the Bulb(s) ??? Let it cool completely before trying to move the bulb !

Your lighting is crucial to your issue. If your lights are over a year, it's time to get new bulbs anyway.

Try to get up to 1 or 2 watts total per gallon if they are T8s and your fixture is rated for the wattage.

Get 6,500K or near that if you want it close to Sunlight. It's my favorite to look at and my plants like it.

Add more plants once you figure put your light.

Coursair said:
Did you read what I wrote ? Did you read the article ?

Do Not add more critters till you balance your tank !!

Reduce your lighting for now.
Test your water and please post results. Test your Tap Water also if you would.

How big a tank ? A 75g right ?
How big are Plecos? 4 Common Plecos ?
They are poop machines and may actually be part of the problem.

NOTHING eats this kind of Algae !!! It's not food.
You need to find out Why you have it.

Exactly What kind of lighting ?? CFL ? Fluorescent tube (s) please post this detail !!

What exact bulb(s) ?? What specs are written on the Bulb(s) ??? Let it cool completely before trying to move the bulb !

Your lighting is crucial to your issue. If your lights are over a year, it's time to get new bulbs anyway.

Try to get up to 1 or 2 watts total per gallon if they are T8s and your fixture is rated for the wattage.

Get 6,500K or near that if you want it close to Sunlight. It's my favorite to look at and my plants like it.

Add more plants once you figure put your light.

Tank water:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4-7.6

Tap water:
Exactly the same!

I do have a 75 and 3 plecos r ABNs and 1 is a dwarf hi fin spotted pleco all r at 2-4in rite now

Still not keen on lighting... Hope a pic helps

image-2497848177.jpg

And it is a fluorescent 48" bulb(only 1 bulb)

Lights r prob only 5-7 months!!

So reading what u wrote I need 2 bulbs?!

On my light it says 8000k is this better or worse? I have the tank in my room and theirs NO natural light in here!!

I have been wanting to get more plants so now I have a reason too!!!;)

Fish4bass8 said:
Tank water:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4-7.6

Tap water:
Exactly the same!

I do have a 75 and 3 plecos r ABNs and 1 is a dwarf hi fin spotted pleco all r at 2-4in rite now

Still not keen on lighting... Hope a pic helps

And it is a fluorescent 48" bulb(only 1 bulb)

Lights r prob only 5-7 months!!

So reading what u wrote I need 2 bulbs?!

On my light it says 8000k is this better or worse? I have the tank in my room and theirs NO natural light in here!!

I have been wanting to get more plants so now I have a reason too!!!;)

Thank you !! :)
Plants need some Nitrates. I keep mine under 20ppm

What Ferts are you dosing if any ?
Carbon or CO2 for plants (not Carbon in your filter) ?

Read the stickies at the top of first page of Planted Tank Section.

You should consider swapping out your light.
You can try a bulb from hardware store just look for Full Spectrum, Warm Daylight, 6,500K or different Kelvin is ok, that's just my first choice.

Your fixture will have Max Wattage listed somewhere in or on it.

* edited *

Coursair said:
Thank you !! :)
Plants need some Nitrates. I keep mine under 20ppm

What Ferts are you dosing if any ?
Carbon or CO2 for plants (not Carbon in your filter) ?

Read the stickies at the top of first page of Planted Tank Section.

You should consider swapping out your light.
You can try a bulb from hardware store just look for Full Spectrum, Warm Daylight, 65,000K or different Kelvin is ok, that's just my first choice.

Your fixture will have Max Wattage listed somewhere in or on it.

I have not a very up to date tank set up!!!
No ferts
No CO2 anything

Thanks I'll look for a 65,00k bulb!! Is that right?

Fish4bass8 said:
Well algae isn't any of my worries!! I have 4 plecos and they do a very nice job cleaning the tank!! I have a moss I need gone!! Please realize that I don't have any other moss in any other of. My tanks!!

If you come to a forum for help then argue with those who offer help, it's considered bad form.

What appears in you photos is NOT moss of any kind it is algae of some sort (or a bacterial bloom of some kind). Lighting, fertilizers, and fish waste all have an impact.

Batt4Christ said:
If you come to a forum for help then argue with those who offer help, it's considered bad form.

What appears in you photos is NOT moss of any kind it is algae of some sort (or a bacterial bloom of some kind). Lighting, fertilizers, and fish waste all have an impact.

I'm sorry:(

What is a good brand of light bulb?
And I don't have any fertilizers will this make any impact?

Yea I am... I found if i take all the decorations out of my tank and wash all the algae off of them then put them in the sun for a few days that will partly help my problem...will it!?

Fish4bass8 said:
Yea I am... I found if i take all the decorations out of my tank and wash all the algae off of them then put them in the sun for a few days that will partly help my problem...will it!?

Yes. If you decide to use bleach, make sure you soak them in clean dechlorinated water several times and then dry completely before adding back. Smell them as well. ANY odor of bleach calls for a re-soak.

Coursair said:
Yes. If you decide to use bleach, make sure you soak them in clean dechlorinated water several times and then dry completely before adding back. Smell them as well. ANY odor of bleach calls for a re-soak.

Thanks I didn't kno I could bleech!!

Back
Top Bottom