Moving! Need Re-Stocking Suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 150 gallon semi-aggressive tank and will be moving in a couple months. I will have to rehome my fish and restock. The tank is very well filtered and I do 50% weekly water changes. Small fish generally dont do well in my tank so small tetras are out. So do you guys have any stocking suggestions?!

If you can't take your fish have you ever considered taking on the challange of a big heavily planted tank? Mines a 220g and I have a Fluval FX5 and Fluval 406 with in-line UV, plus two small powerheads. My main focus are the Veil Angelfish, then the tetras (rummy nose and diamond), yo-yo loaches, rams, cory's, threadfin rainbows, oto's, longfin BNP, and whiptail cats. The small fish do fine in a large planted, in fact you can actually have large schools which are pretty cool. Thing is planted are alot more work than fish only but if you want a true challange it might be worth giving it a go.

If you are rehoming all your fish, what about Turing it into a cichlid tank? With a tank that size it will look amazing.

Those are cool and they would probably get pretty big in my tank. Any other ideas??

Agreed with lake Malawi cichlids.

If you like big fish go with a couple tiger oscars with something else? Blood parrot cichlids maybe?

A friend of mine had 2 kissing gouramis. Don't know much about them but I know they get huge.

Oh I heard Oscars are to aggressive for Blood Parrots. I have 2 in my semi-aggressive tank and love them! I love my current stock tell ne what you guys think of it.
2 Rainbow Fish
2 Blood Parrots
2 Angels
2 ID Sharks
1 Common Pleco
1 BN Pleco
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Fire Eel
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Dinosaur Bichir
1 Black Ghost Knife Fish
Ill post some pics from my Ipad. So I was thinking cichlids or something similiar.

I would love to have Leopard Ctenopoma. They are such an interesting fish but may be hard to stock around. They grow to about 6 inches and shouldn't be kept with anything small enough to fit in it's mouth. You'd want to stick with fish of a similar size or bigger. It actually makes a decent tankmate provided it can't eat them.

I also think sharks are so neat and would love to do one.

Here are my pictures! What do you guys think?? The reason the small angel doesn't look that good is because I got him 3 days ago. The big 1 I've had for about 4 months and she is gorgeous so I think I might want to do Angels again. Any ideas including them???

image-2730167948.jpg

Personally if I had a tank the size of yours I'd love to try a Colombian or Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark. They to me have a very nice look and grow to a decent size. Colombian to about 10 inches or so and the chinese hi fin is a foot and a half.

The chinese hi fin is actually very peaceful and is more of an algae eater than what people think of a "shark" but being so peaceful also makes stocking around it easier. They also like a heavily filtered tank with good oxygenation which sounds like your tank would provide

Yeah I have a very good sump, 2 powerheads, a bubbler, and I do 50% weekly water changes. But I think my IDs look really cool.

Yeah I have a very good sump, 2 powerheads, a bubbler, and I do 50% weekly water changes. But I think my IDs look really cool.

Don't ID sharks get huge though? Like 4 foot. I couldn't imagine trying to keep one long term.

No that's only in the wild. Most get 15 or around there in captivity. I know people on this site that have them in 75 gallons and they are fully grown and 15 inches or so. One person even has a 30 year old ID shark! Mine grew really fast then slowed down and aren't even that big yet. But even if they do outgrow my tank my LFS has a 3000 gallon show tank with one 17 incher in it and said they'd take mine if they get too big.

That would look amazing but small fish get sucked into my sump... But idk if I could afford $200 on fish anyways.

Back
Top Bottom