Moving to a bigger aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ga1981

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everybody,
I'm planning to move all my stuff from a 29g to a 68 g.
I got this tank and eheim professional 3 canister previously set up for a freshwater aquarium.
Have a few question about the moving, is the new thank is going to cycle?do I need new sand bed if yes what do you recommend?how much flow? The canister is rated for 90 g and also have aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer,need extra live rock? And if you know more any help is appreciate !
Thanks

I want to put the new tank in the same spot

You will need about 60-80lbs of Liverock. And is the substrate crushed Liverock? Crushed coral? Or substrate from your FW tank

My 30 g is a reef, I just want to move everything in a bigger tank which was set up as a FW

Oh gotcha. I would use the same substrate, but wile you have it out of the tank I would put it in five gallon buckets and rinse thoroughly all the decomposed materials out. You will probably need to buy a little more also... I would recommend a 2" sand bed.

First I would align the tanks next to each other to where you can still push the 29g out of the way.

Second take out all the sand and put it in buckets(rinse it)
And then put in the new tank.

Pump all the water from the 29g straight into the 68g tank. Then push the 29g out of the way.

Then push the 68g into your desired spot and apply the substrate.

This has worked for me probably a good 35 times.

Hope it will work for you?

So if I do that is not going to start a cycle?
Also I was thinking to change the sand bed to a smaller kind of crushed LR ,
I'm scare if the new tank start a cycle I'm going to lose everything...

Clown fish
Cardinal
Damsel
Cleaner shrimp
Anemone
Torch
Galaxy
Mushroom
Frog
Candy
Hammer
Some leather
Hermit and snail

It's kinda like doing a 39g water change.
Your tank won't be as stable as a mature one. But it shouldn't start a full re-cycle if you keep all the liverock and livesand. But if you want to add a completely new sand bed your tank will do a faster recycle. I would recommend leaving he old sand bed and adding a new "top" to it, such as Fiji pink live sand.

My other concern is the filtration.
I don't know what they are, should I replace themImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399781250.834005.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399781274.652869.jpg

Goodluck with the whole move!
And make sure to be careful when adding the rock to not scratch the class of the new tank. Post pics if you can of the progress please.

I have never in my whole career used a canister filter.
I have always used a sump or refugium, refugium mainly though. You'll have to get someone else's opinion on the filtration. Sorry, I don't want to lead you stray. I would eventually upgrade to a refugium IMO. But that's just me.

I know but this came with the tank,
And I use a canister for my 29 also, but defiantly consider refugium ...

If you need advice setting up a refugium also, just post another thread and I'm sure me and many others will be able to help. ;)

Back
Top Bottom