My 125 reef in progress tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My parameters as of last night are posted above....my tank was already established when I bought it. It may have went through a mini cycle when I added the sand, but not sure.

Ther was no substrate in the tank. Bare bottom. I added 90 lbs of aragonite and 40 pounds of live aragonite. That was about a month ago, however last week I had to tear it down to get out 2 engineer gobies. I dug through the snd to get out some bristle worms, restacked my rock and put all my livestock back. I guess its possible the regal never recovered

The previous owner had no substrate? How much established live rock was in it when you purchased it?

It is hard to tell from the pictures because I am on my phone, but that looks like diatoms on your sand. That is a sign of a new tank, the system isn't very established. I'm trying to figure out what is happening because you have lost more fish in this tank so far than I have lost in two years. Stirring the sand can trigger mini cycles, but it was virtually still new sand. How long have you had that tank running now?

This tank is an established tank from the previous owner. How long, I don't know for sure. I'm assuming a good while due to the coraline algae all over the back of the tanks and live rock. I have had it for about a month. New sand has been in about 3 weeks, and like I said earlier, I stirred up the sand while I had it apart....stunk really bad also when I was stirring it around.

Yes the sand was new, and no, not quaranteening the livestock. Lfs said I didnt need to, so i took their word for it.

You should always QT if it is at all possible. One sick fish can wipe out a whole tank under the right conditions. I can't tell from the picture what kind of shape your regal was in, did you notice any strange behavior from him?

Yes really strange lately. Kept trying to lay on my mandarin. String into the glass, then yesterday just layin on the glass on the bottom of the tank til he died. He was pretty thin, even when I got him from the store.

No I didn't see it eat at the store. She seemed to be eating fine in my tank. I might be too trusting when it comes to my lfs. Its not a chain store and the guys seem to know what they are talking about, however some stuff they tell me contradicts when I read on this forum. Its nice to hear from people who have been through the same stuff and get advice from people who are not just trying to get paid.

Perhaps you are just purchasing poor specimens to begin with. When I go look at a fish I watch it swim and look for any odd behavior, such as flashing or rubbing against rocks. Then I watch it eat, I will usually ask the LFS to hold it and check on it periodically for a week. Then upon purchase I will quarantine the new fish to ensure its health. It is a hassle, but its well worth it to protect the investment.

Well I was using a 35 for QT, I will be using a 55 in the future. I usually allow atleast two weeks, and only medicate if I see any issues.

The cheapest sand petco sells and some pvc pieces for the fish the hide. No sense wasting money on rock for the QT. Send Melosu a PM, he has a link for setting up a QT tank.

Back
Top Bottom