My 12L: An Iwagumi style Nature Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome! Looks like tht hc could use a trim tho

Love the avatar, btw.

I haven't had to trim it yet, but it is going to need it in the next few months. I have grown a lot of HC in other tanks, but never have I had such compact growth as I am getting with the LEDs on this tank.

Am I going to add any plants to thin it? Or did you mean plans to thin it?

Indeed :).

I will thin it some eventually but it is such a pain without uprooting all of it. You needing some?

fort384 said:
Love the avatar, btw.

I haven't had to trim it yet, but it is going to need it in the next few months. I have grown a lot of HC in other tanks, but never have I had such compact growth as I am getting with the LEDs on this tank.

Thanks! Ya you def have some beautiful hc. I even looked up the light for my 60p :p to expensive tho

Hi Fort... great looking setup. Love the tank and the fixture! Just curious, with your battle with the algae and thinking the culprit is the intensity of light (or PAR) from the limited distance from the light source to substrate, how come you just didn't invest in a minuscule $25 inline dimmer from Current? Here
Inline Dimmer with On/Off Control - YouTube

I recall someone mentioning the dimmer somewhere in this thread.

Or if you didn't want to raise it that much (as you mentioned it would cause an eye sore in the room it's placed in), but maybe just a bit, how come you didn't consider the docking legs? Here

I would love to get a 12g long down the road and this fixture is pretty neat. Just seems like a dealbreaker considering all the algae you have to contend with.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Hi Fort... great looking setup. Love the tank and the fixture! Just curious, with your battle with the algae and thinking the culprit is the intensity of light (or PAR) from the limited distance from the light source to substrate, how come you just didn't invest in a minuscule $25 inline dimmer from Current? Here
Inline Dimmer with On/Off Control - YouTube

I recall someone mentioning the dimmer somewhere in this thread.

Or if you didn't want to raise it that much (as you mentioned it would cause an eye sore in the room it's placed in), but maybe just a bit, how come you didn't consider the docking legs? Here

I would love to get a 12g long down the road and this fixture is pretty neat. Just seems like a dealbreaker considering all the algae you have to contend with.

Didn't know the dimmer existed. Will pick one up and thanks for the heads up. I do not want to raise the fixture at all though with legs. I like it sitting on top of the tank.

Fort it 'looks' like you might be able to use the ecoxotic dimmer too. The specs look similar for a lower price.

BTW, are you going to add a powerhead to the left side to increase the circulation? Perhaps the lack of circulation and intense lighting can exacerbate the algae issues (i.e. More nutrients settling in the far end away from the filter)?

Fort it 'looks' like you might be able to use the ecoxotic dimmer too. The specs look similar for a lower price.

BTW, are you going to add a powerhead to the left side to increase the circulation? Perhaps the lack of circulation and intense lighting can exacerbate the algae issues (i.e. More nutrients settling in the far end away from the filter)?

Most people wouldn't put powerheads in such small (and shallow) tanks. I think that much flow would uproot the plants. It would also be an eye sore in a nature themed tank like this. Maybe a better option would be to try increasing flow by cleaning filter media and the impelller.

I've been eyeing up a 12G L for quite some time, so I've been poking around with some equipment and stocking ideas.. when I get a bigger place I'm most certainly going to consider one. I have 2 tanks right now, and I barely convinced the wifey to let me get a GLA rimless 36-L for a planted nature style setup with shrimp. As I'm combing through the forums and youtube vids, I've noticed quite a few good examples of this 12g L setup. They are also using a powerhead on the far end. Anyway, powerheads come in all sizes and GPH ratings... I'm sure the nano powerhead wouldn't take away from the overall beauty of this tank. I'm sure we'll see in an update pic :)

Brian_Nano12g said:
I've been eyeing up a 12G L for quite some time, so I've been poking around with some equipment and stocking ideas.. when I get a bigger place I'm most certainly going to consider one. I have 2 tanks right now, and I barely convinced the wifey to let me get a GLA rimless 36-L for a planted nature style setup with shrimp. As I'm combing through the forums and youtube vids, I've noticed quite a few good examples of this 12g L setup. They are also using a powerhead on the far end. Anyway, powerheads come in all sizes and GPH ratings... I'm sure the nano powerhead wouldn't take away from the overall beauty of this tank. I'm sure we'll see in an update pic :)

O boy, if you checkout TPT they have a 12l CLUB. Its crazy how popular it is

yeah, I will get more pics up in the next week or 2. Not much has changed for now. Just a few extra inches of HC coverage :)

Thanks for the links on the dimmer. I can't believe I didn't know about it. And I have been sufficiently berated by AC for that mistake :p

I just read your entire thread and I feel like I just read the entire Harry Potter series... With voldemort being algae. Lol. Looking great! I hope I can make mine half as good as yours. I doubt my scaping skills are good enough. How are the chili rasboras doing?

they are doing great. I am thinking about picking up another dozen from msjinkzd.

fort384 said:
they are doing great. I am thinking about picking up another dozen from msjinkzd.
I noticed that your iPhone was messing with some of your words in your posts... Lol. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
What have you been feeding yours? How active are they?

I feed them ADA nano pellets (relax David and Mark, they came free with an order from AFA, I didn't PAY for them :p). I only feed the tank maybe twice a week.

They school nicely most of the time. Overall, I love them for this style tank. They are tiny, school well, and are brightly colored.

Back
Top Bottom