My 12L: An Iwagumi style Nature Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give it a try. I have had luck with it in the past but unfortunately it just keeps coming back. Maybe I need to figure out a way to get the light mounted a bit higher. I really do think that is the culprit as I have had algae issues since about 4 weeks in to this tank.

Just a quick question....what was the flow like in this tank? Where there any dead spots? Maybe thats why your having such a battle with algea?

No there is plenty of flow. I have a canister filter with lily inflow pipe. I am 99% sure it is light coupled with my lack of regular dosing.

I've been thinking about this tank and it's algea problem for a while now. What if you were to do a shorter photoperiod like 3 hours on, then 2 hours off, then 3 hours back on? What do you think? Will that possibly solve any problems?

It is worth a try. I have never really experimented with a split photoperiod. I will give it a try. Thanks!

I don't really want to mineralize it. But again an interesting idea. I will consider it.

Yeah was thinking about that Jon when Austin suggested it. I think it is definitely worth a try.

Until someone can show me a well documented case where splitting the photoperiod helped algae, I will remain dubious. From everything that I've seen and know about plant biology, this seems like largely superstition.

What is the science behind it? It has been awhile since I have seen or read anything on a split photoperiod.

Austin.b said:
I know of people that don't do anything to the water in their 12 longs.

You mean just dump in RO water and be done with it? I am injecting Co2. My pH would drop pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Here is a photo. The hair algae is a little better but still present. The HC on the left started a few months ago as literally 2 or 3 tiny stems. It is doing well and the roots make it easy to clean the hair algae off. The UG in the middle is also growing well but I end up throwing some away every week as the hair algae is difficult to clean off of it without just pulling it all up. The blyxa is also doing well.

Attachments

• image-870474064.jpg
    image-870474064.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
Your tank is growing in nicely! So overall would your recommend that light fixture?

I would, but not for this shallow of a tank. It is too much for 10" depth.

fort384 said:
I would, but not for this shallow of a tank. It is too much for 10" depth.

That might be your problem... Maybe try moving the light higher up above the tank if you can?

Not really an option unfortunately. There are no optics on the LEDs. If I hang it like my SW fixture there will be a light of light spillage which won't work in this room.

Back
Top Bottom