My 2.5, 18, and 20 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

(EviL DeaD)DEAD by DAWN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I already started doing some of my planned changes for my tanks. Ive changed the gravel for my 18 gallon and deciding if I should go with fake or live plants.
101_2109.jpg
My 20 gallon I did some rearranging and cleaned up the tank. I bought some drift wood that I plan to add as soon as I water log it.
101_2110.jpg
And my 2.5 gallon which I bought the hood for.
101_2111.jpg
Also I must ask, does driftwood usually smell when being soaked? I have the wood in a rubber maid bin and change the water everyday, its been soaking for about a week.
Argh, I cant remember what else I was going ask!

Also I must ask, does driftwood usually smell when being soaked? I have the wood in a rubber maid bin and change the water everyday, its been soaking for about a week.
Argh, I cant remember what else I was going ask!

What does it smell like? I had a thread in the members fw tanks showcase that talked about the wood I put in my tank. It was a piece of wood I got from my lfs....but it was a used piece. I boiled the heck out of it first and then put it in my tank. After about three days it started growing this really nasty greenish/brown stuff about an inch all around it. When I opened up the tank to check things out the smell about knocked me over. I won't get too graphic on here for fear of getting thrown out...but it was bad...like I had walked into a used bathroom bad....I took the wood out and water and completely put new water and filter in to clean out the "stuff" it left behind. I think me buying the piece used was not good...who knows what it had been used for. Anyway...long story to ask you exactly what does yours smell like? I would think a natural, wet wood smell would be fine. Smelling like someone has come and used the bathroom in the soaking tub would not be a good smell to have....sorry if tmi.....:oops:

It kinda of smells like really bad tea I guess, it doesnt smell rotten, that Im sure of. When I swap out the water I put the hottest water I can get off tap. Well I guess to be safe I just waterlog it for a couples of weeks.

Thanks for the response and dont worry I belong to some other forums where anything goes.

It kinda of smells like really bad tea I guess, it doesnt smell rotten, that Im sure of. When I swap out the water I put the hottest water I can get off tap. Well I guess to be safe I just waterlog it for a couples of weeks.

Thanks for the response and dont worry I belong to some other forums where anything goes.
Do you mean to soak it you are using the hottest tapwater? Or are you soaking it in something besides your tank right now?
If it smells like tea..I would think that would be fine...that is how I knew mine wasn't fine...it was awful smelling...not anything "natural" I have ever smelled anyway. :silly:

Well I double checked yesterday when I got home from work and it smelled pretty funky. Since I am soaking about 10 pieces I figured maybe one or two is probably causing the the bad smell.

Well I decided I grab the smallest pieces and boil them again, I started yesterday around 5, and there still going today, but I noticed they dont smell bad. So I went and smelled each one, it seems to be a light colored piece that smells. Well I try and take pictures of it, it might not even be driftwood.

Yes, if you post some pictures we can help identify what type it is. I've never heard of anything like that before, I had some Malaysian soaking for weeks and I never noticed a nasty smell, just wet wood.

Ok these lighter pieces I think are the cause of the smell so Im pulling them out of the tub.
4st 001.jpg
These are some of my other pieces, although the one at the bottom Im not sure about.
4st 002.jpg
4st 003.jpg
And these pieces seem ready to go although should I keep boiling them till the water stays clear?
4st.jpg

Those top pieces look like they might be rotting. Do they have any soft spots that crumble away easily? If so, then that definately is your cause. I'd give the rest of the pieces a chance to soak so that you can verify that they are not causing the smell. As long as the remaining pieces don't discolor the water too much for your tastes and aren't the cause of the smell they should be ready to go.

Yes, the two pieces felt mushy and I could easily break pieces off, so I guess that answers that question. Ill be able to check the other pieces when I get home, I already put two smaller pieces in my empty 2.5, to see if it tints the water.

Thanks and Ill keep you guys posted.

Well it sure was those two pieces, the wood smells fine now, anyways Im getting the other pieces ready for my 20 Gallon. Heres my 2.5, I just need some Java Moss now.
5 001.jpg

i boiled mine for 3 hrs and changed the water a few times, no tannins on my 55 gallons. I just added anew piece over the weekend.

Here is a update of my 2.5, plants and filter added. Now Im waiting for the Java Moss to anchor itself to the drift wood, anybody have a idea how long that takes? Anyways, Im already getting algae and having a hard time controling my self to buy my shrimp. Argh!!
6 110.jpg

Welll actually, yesterday when I was doing my PWC I decided to see if it had anchored itself, sure enough it had already taken grip of the drift wood, so I went ahead and cut the fishing line off. From the time I got the Java moss and tied it to the wood, it took about a week and a day. I also alrady threw in a couple of MTS in there, algae is growing like crazy!!!

Thanks for the complaments

Back
Top Bottom