My 20G Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just yesterday I was at my brothers and he has a 220 gallon tank with a total of 7 gourami in assorted types. He has 3 blue, 2 gold, 1 dwarf and a huge snakeskin (7") and they all live together in apparent harmony. His tank needs tons of work...the hornwort is so overgrown there is hardly pace to feed the fish and the planted plants are breaking the surface...so there are lots of hiding places. But I also consider his tank overstocked...so maybe they have to stick together...I dunno. I am shocked they don't fight tho.
As for the guppy...you might try some Melafix for his fin...it will help weather it's nipping or rot...and it won't hurt your bio filter or the other guppies in that tank.

Well, just as I was about to dose with melafix, I saw baby Japan Blue guppu fry in my 6.6 gallon! I didn't know what to do, so I took the male fancy blue guppy out of the fry net and put the two Japan Blue female guppies in there with the five fry I found.

I have no clue what to do now! LOL I don't think I should be dosing with melafix with fry in there, but I'm out of tanks.

Did a 30% pwc today, some snipping, cleaned the rocks and rearranged the big twig.

All are doing well! Dwarf gourami (named Juicy Fruit) is doing well and is my fave. :) By far. I am still annoyed with the cory cats and am looking to sell/trade them. :hide:

I'm up to eight baby Japan Blue guppies in my 6.6 tank. So excited!

Here's today!

Attachments

• 20G 11 24 12.jpg
    20G 11 24 12.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 86
I can't even explain why but this is by far my favorite tank on the forums. It's just so different from everything else and every element works beautifully. I just can't get over it. I swoon every time I look at the thing.

I can't even explain why but this is by far my favorite tank on the forums. It's just so different from everything else and every element works beautifully. I just can't get over it. I swoon every time I look at the thing.
:oops: You are so kind! Thank you so much. :) I was pretty happy with the maintenance today... moved a few things.

You know what I think is one of the differences in my tank? The blue background. It's so simple, but I notice that a lot of people don't do backgrounds.

callisto9 said:
:oops: You are so kind! Thank you so much. :) I was pretty happy with the maintenance today... moved a few things.

You know what I think is one of the differences in my tank? The blue background. It's so simple, but I notice that a lot of people don't do backgrounds.

I'm with you about back grounds!! I painted the 40g black with Eco-complete as sub. I love it.

My first tank didn't have a background and I never put one on. I really think it makes everything pop. I kinda wish I'd gone with light blue, but oh well!

Could be... Keep up with changing water daily keep him QT, I use minimal chemicals, just water conditioner and, if it were me I would half dose melafix and half dose pimafix and keep the tank empty and bare bottomed. I keep a betta community tank- fin rot is a tough one. You gotta be really diligent (or is it more like obsessive, lol). Good luck to you and the poor little guy.

callisto9 said:
Which of your plants are melting? How much Comprehensive are you dosing?

My anacharis and cobomba are melting it seems ive done a water change and am going to skip the comprehensive dosing this time and see if it makes a difference. Hows your plants going?

_skyla_ said:
My anacharis and cobomba are melting it seems ive done a water change and am going to skip the comprehensive dosing this time and see if it makes a difference. Hows your plants going?

Oh and im only dosing 2ml each week

So so. Most of them are OK. I still have brown algae of some sort on my Brazilian pennywort. In fact, I had that crummy stuff on a few of my plants. None of my plants are perfect, but most of them are doing ok.

_skyla_ said:

If you're using Excell it could be that but Comprehensive shouldn't do anything but help those plants, especially at a weekly dose.

Excel and Glutglutaraldehyde does melt anacharis but not sure about Cambomba. If your having melting problems, cut off the bad parts and float the plants until they actually start developing roots. Melting can also be caused when they don't like the GH/KH/PH of water. I have a couple plants that won't grow and will melt if I don't keep my water soft with a KH and GH no higher than a 4.

*sigh* Just when I think my tank is looking pretty good, I see this:

photo%25201.JPG

White fuzzy stuff on my manzanita. During the last pwc, I turned this branch upside down from how I'd positioned it previously. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Sheesh.

callisto9 said:
*sigh* Just when I think my tank is looking pretty good, I see this:

White fuzzy stuff on my manzanita. During the last pwc, I turned this branch upside down from how I'd positioned it previously. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Sheesh.

I have seen those "growths" in my Manzanita Driftwood, nothing to worry IME, I just rubbed with my hands, they will disappear with time by itself.

I got amano shrimp to get rid of the white fur fuzzy things on my dw too but it didnt happen. they didnt go near it.

Back
Top Bottom