My 40g breeder ram build begins!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a video. and I just check the tank and noticed the the second pair were spawning also!! I got a couple pics of them too:dance:

enjoy!!:popcorn::popcorn:

pics of second pair. sry for the not so good photo. Had to shoot at an angle so I didn't bother them.

Attachments

• spawn 2 071.JPG
    spawn 2 071.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 99
  • spawn 2 072.JPG
    spawn 2 072.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 104
Awesome,what are your plans for any surviving fry?

Have a fry tank ready. Depending on how many. I may call LFS and see if they would work something out. Also going to research how to ship. I may sell to AA members. But I'v got time to think on that one. Which I will take, it would be a lot of work at first till I got a routine in place. It also depends on the quality of the fry. Which I think will be high. From the looks of the adults.

Rivercats, the second pair is the sail fin!! I couldn't believe it. I'm really pulling for good survival from them. Those I would have to learn to ship I think. ;-)

Rivercats, the second pair is the sail fin!! I couldn't believe it. I'm really pulling for good survival from them. Those I would have to learn to ship I think. ;-)

I noticed!!! Might even have to talk you into keeping me a pair if you get any. My only longfins are a Gold pair who BTW have never spawned.

No good. Lost both spawns today. Have to chalk it to young pairs. Lvl's are all good. Ph is a bit high at 6.8 would like to more in the 6.4 range. Oh well, three spawns in less then 15 day is a good start. Going to clean the the tank 2mrw and get ready for the next round. Sorry rivercats, going to have to wait a bit longer for your sail fins but I think we will get them in the end.

On a brighter note. My wife decided to take a shot at scaping today. Which was her first planted tank ever!

image-699020103.jpg

Not a bad start.

More to come....

That's really common in new young pairs! Eventually they'll get it.

Watch dropping your ph too low as you can cause you BB to start slowing down or even stop it if ph drops too low. Maybe go down to 6.6 but be careful going lower. If you ammonia starts to rise then your BB is slowing down.

Tell your wife that is pretty darn good for a first go.

I have a confession. I had that aggression issue between two pairs and needed to decide which to keep etc. Well, with the holidays hitting, work and me getting so sick 2 days before Christmas. (Full blow tonsillitis that almost landed me in the hospital.) yeah not fun.

Removing that third pair just had not happened. I know I know! But in my defense the aggression had stopped. The pairs had drawn lines chosen ground and left each other be. Had there been serious danger of injury I would have separated them A.S.A.P. but things where chill enough to let things stand till I was well enough to deal with it.

I have finally stopped seeing three of everything and am able to stay awake for longer than an hour or two at a time. Thank you! modern medicine!

Anyway, Today I got up with the intent of moving that third pair. I decided to give the tank a good clean and trim plants while I was at it which I did. Another LFS have called and said the otto's Id wanted were in so I shot over there to grab them. When I got back and put the otto's in to start acclimating..........I see this. The third pair spawning!! :blink:

Attachments

• spawn 4 tird pair 005.jpg
    spawn 4 tird pair 005.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 91
  • spawn 4 tird pair 004.jpg
    spawn 4 tird pair 004.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 81
Phish don't you know Murphy's Law always comes into play. Looks like your going to have to wait a bit more before pairing down. Hope you feel better, I've got viral meningitis right now and I think it peaked today. I feel like an ant that got run over by a dump truck! Oh an up note... how are the Oto's looking? I've got a few that are a year old now and they are the biggest fattest Oto's I've ever seen! But then they have alot of tank and plants to forage in.

At this point the only thing I can do is wait and see. If the pairs can cohabitant with no aggression I don't see a reason to change the tank dynamic, do you? If in time, I don't have any successful spawns I would say three pairs are the reason and remove one. But I can't really say that now. This only increases my chances IMO
But time will tell.

One things for sure. I'm not good to let a proven pair. Go back to a LFS to be sold randomly. I'd feel better finding a healthy home for them. Together.

I wouldn't take them back to the LFS for sure. And time will tell about three pairs in that size tank. You could be one of the lucky ones that it works but what I found over the years as the pairs mature/get older they can get alot more aggressive and that's when real issues can start. Your right just waiting and letting things play out then taking whatever action or not in the future.

I wouldn't take them back to the LFS for sure. And time will tell about three pairs in that size tank. You could be one of the lucky ones that it works but what I found over the years as the pairs mature/get older they can get alot more aggressive and that's when real issues can start. Your right just waiting and letting things play out then taking whatever action or not in the future.

Cool! I was a bit stressed about the whole thing until I said "wait! The fish are happy enough to spawn! Let it go and see!" But knowing you agree with me on this one rivercats really settle it for me. Thanks!

They are young so that is probably why you can get away with it now. In the 220g I started with 11 rams (had a baby odd one), then as they got older and older I kept having to move pairs out to where right now I have gone down to 2 pairs in the 220g. They are both older pairs (over a year) and even with all that tank they still have issues off and on.

At this point the only thing I can do is wait and see. If the pairs can cohabitant with no aggression I don't see a reason to change the tank dynamic, do you? If in time, I don't have any successful spawns I would say three pairs are the reason and remove one. But I can't really say that now. This only increases my chances IMO
But time will tell.

One things for sure. I'm not good to let a proven pair. Go back to a LFS to be sold randomly. I'd feel better finding a healthy home for them. Together.

Yes, whatever you decide, do not take a bonded pair back to a LFS.

They are young so that is probably why you can get away with it now. In the 220g I started with 11 rams (had a baby odd one), then as they got older and older I kept having to move pairs out to where right now I have gone down to 2 pairs in the 220g. They are both older pairs (over a year) and even with all that tank they still have issues off and on.

I'm sure in the end, that is what will happen. The only reason I can see for the present arrangement working is the piece of wood in the tank. There's a pair in each back corner of the tank with no line of sight. The third being in the hollowed out knot. They can see the other pairs without disturbing them.

Remove the wood and I bet there would be a cage match or tank match in this case.

Petco is having their dollar a gallon sale. Think I'll grab a standard 20g to be safe.

I'm sure in the end, that is what will happen. The only reason I can see for the present arrangement working is the piece of wood in the tank. There's a pair in each back corner of the tank with no line of sight. The third being in the hollowed out knot. They can see the other pairs without disturbing them.

Remove the wood and I bet there would be a cage match or tank match in this case.

Petco is having their dollar a gallon sale. Think I'll grab a standard 20g to be safe.

That's a good idea, I always have some extra 20g tanks laying around.

Phish don't you know Murphy's Law always comes into play. Looks like your going to have to wait a bit more before pairing down. Hope you feel better, I've got viral meningitis right now and I think it peaked today. I feel like an ant that got run over by a dump truck! Oh an up note... how are the Oto's looking? I've got a few that are a year old now and they are the biggest fattest Oto's I've ever seen! But then they have alot of tank and plants to forage in.

The oto's are doing really well! I had two that always looked about to bust! And there was still work to be done in the tank. So I up'd the number to 6 adding 4 today. They are really cool lil guys. I'v never had a need for them in any of my tanks before this one. So I'v always overlooked them. I'v been missing out! Super neat personalities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom