My 40g breeder ram build begins!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also wondering what you've been feeding your rams?

Mainly bloodworms. Small amount(just what gets consumed in a min) twice a day. Also, small WC's 10 to 15% every other day. I also made sure the temp of the fresh water was as close to 2 degrees cooler than the tank. I keep the tank at 80 and the water changes are 77 to 78. I read that this mimics a rain shower which induces spawning.

Mainly bloodworms. Small amount(just what gets consumed in a min) twice a day. Also, small WC's 10 to 15% every other day. I also made sure the temp of the fresh water was as close to 2 degrees cooler than the tank. I keep the tank at 80 and the water changes are 77 to 78. I read that this mimics a rain shower which induces spawning.

Hmm Okay....

started feeding the fry hard boiled egg yolk to night. They seem to like it. lol, not sure the parent like chasing the like guys all over the place to herd them back to guarding spot. The one pair still guarding the eggs spawned last night. so we'll see if those hatch.

I figure I'll grab a couple of 10's or 20's this weekend. As someone said, the 5g isn't going to cut it. :D

Well you said you wanted fry.... your on a roll!!! Bet it is amusing to see two pairs trying to herd kids.

IT's hilarious!! My wife and I have been watching and just cracking up! :lol:

Wait until the fry get alittle older and really start wondering all over in all different directions. I've seen parents that looked like they were going to have a nervous breakdown trying to run all over the tank trying to herd and gather kids up then while they are gathering one group another takes off a different way. Thats why I bet there will be some fry swapping happening once both sets of fry are off and about big time.

I have a question about the dry fertz. Nitrates are low in the tank. I'v been dosing them 1ml per 10g and they aren't increasing. I know your going to ask rivercats, lol. Thier around 5ppm.

I have a question about the dry fertz. Nitrates are low in the tank. I'v been dosing them 1ml per 10g and they aren't increasing. I know your going to ask rivercats, lol. Thier around 5ppm.

Hey Phish when I was trying to up my phosphates I put about 1/4 or more teaspoon of dry phosphate in the tank, waited 24 hours then tested. Then just double or triple dosed till I got it up. For your tank since it's smaller I'd say try double dosing and after 3-4 days test to see where your numbers are at. My tank just eats phosphates and I have a hard time getting it raised. Your tank might be using a ton of nitrates. This is the reason I split my macro's into two bottles. One bottle for nitrates and one bottle for phosphates and potassium. If you have them all mixed together you might have to mix a bottle of nitrates seperate and dose it.

Update: Just ran out to dinner but right before we left I saw a pair spawning!! Woot woot! Have been cycling a sponge filter in the DT so I think I'm going to pull this spawn and putting it in a 5g hatching tank.will post some pics when I get home.

Pics!!!

But first :thanks: Tetra1990!
I'm also going to throw some plant pic's for the green thumbs!!

Oh!!! Please please vote for my January Freshwater photo contest Entry! I'll post that pic first! :brows:

67720-albums10791-picture48768.jpg
[/IMG]

67720-albums10791-picture48823.jpg
[/IMG]
full tank shot. with the new 5g hatchery tank below. The new spawn from tonight is on that pc of slate. nervous about this approach. Hope it works

67720-albums10791-picture48825.jpg
[/IMG]
planted some Dwarf baby tears today. you can juuust see it in the bottom left. What a pain to plant in Eco!!! Hope it does well?

67720-albums10791-picture48824.jpg
[/IMG]
Water Lilly that has exploded! Got this as a bulb from petco.......who knew?!

67720-albums10791-picture48770.jpg
[/IMG]
Sailfin male

67720-albums10791-picture48771.jpg
[/IMG]
one fat happy oto!! think this was nap time?

Pics!!!

But first :thanks: Tetra1990!
I'm also going to throw some plant pic's for the green thumbs!!

Oh!!! Please please vote for my January Freshwater photo contest Entry! I'll post that pic first! :brows:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
full tank shot. with the new 5g hatchery tank below. The new spawn from tonight is on that pc of slate. nervous about this approach. Hope it works

[/IMG]
planted some Dwarf baby tears today. you can juuust see it in the bottom left. What a pain to plant in Eco!!! Hope it does well?

[/IMG]
Water Lilly that has exploded! Got this as a bulb from petco.......who knew?!

[/IMG]
Sailfin male

[/IMG]
one fat happy oto!! think this was nap time?

Hi Phish,pics aren't showing...

I can see the pic's. That is an awesome ram picture!!!! The plants are looking good too.

Thanks! I think I'm going to have to change the driftwood. It's grapevine and I think its breaking down to quickly. Everything I'v read says it does ok in cooler tanks but having it a 80 degree setting isn't working I think :facepalm: So, I see a re-scape in the near future. Also going to start a cycle on a 20L. It will either become a grow out tank for fry or a home for one of my pairs. If I make it a grow out tank, I'm going to sell a pair. If I do that and that's an IF. I will offer it up to you guys first.

Thanks! I think I'm going to have to change the driftwood. It's grapevine and I think its breaking down to quickly. Everything I'v read says it does ok in cooler tanks but having it a 80 degree setting isn't working I think :facepalm: So, I see a re-scape in the near future. Also going to start a cycle on a 20L. It will either become a grow out tank for fry or a home for one of my pairs. If I make it a grow out tank, I'm going to sell a pair. If I do that and that's an IF. I will offer it up to you guys first.

I'm first in line IF you do :brows:

Back
Top Bottom