My 40g breeder ram build begins!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today is going to see big change in my tank. I'm going to taking the grapewood out. I do have a replacement pc that is not grape and half the size. I'm thinking of doing some rock scape also but I dont have the rock yet. So we will see. Ill post pics soon.

Soooo, let me know what you think! I used some petrified wood I had. I looked on line at some rock I would like to get but it's going to have to wait till taxes come back. Input on plant placement pls. Tank pics first and then more ram pics!

Sorry the tank is still clearing up so forgive particles in the water..

67720-albums10791-picture49066.jpg
[/IMG]

full tank

67720-albums10791-picture49063.jpg
[/IMG]

left side

67720-albums10791-picture49065.jpg
[/IMG]

right side.

67720-albums10791-picture49062.jpg
[/IMG]

Very upset clown pleco waiting for the new wood!

67720-albums10791-picture49064.jpg
[/IMG]
pair 1

67720-albums10791-picture49067.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow it looks like a different tank. It's brighter and shows the plants better. So are you going to add more plants or just wait and get some rocks?

Thanks everyone! Rivercats idk I'm thinking I want to watch that right side grow in a bit. I'm definitely going replace the water sprite any ideas? You had mentioned something before but can't remember what it was. I would also like to get some more of dwarf baby tears if it does well.

Thanks everyone! Rivercats idk I'm thinking I want to watch that right side grow in a bit. I'm definitely going replace the water sprite any ideas? You had mentioned something before but can't remember what it was. I would also like to get some more of dwarf baby tears if it does well.

I think Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides' would look perfect there and it will add some more color as the top 3 or 4 inches is a bright pink. That is the thing, when you rescape the tank you have to let it grow in and tweek it along the way. I'm still doing minor tweeking on the 220g. Another plant that would also look good to add in down the road would be Cabomba Furcata. But I'd do the Limnophia first and Cabomba later is you want to add another nice touch of color.

Well I'm guessing the sail fins like the rescape. I just found the male fanning a large group of eggs. It not on a stone. So I can't remove them. I'm guessing I will have to siphon them into the fry tank or suck them up with a turkey baster?

Last edited:
Yep sounds like your going to have alittle extra work to do. Congrats BTW!

Thanks! I looked at the plants you suggested and I really like the first one a lot!! I think I'v seen that in someones tank.....I wonder who's it was...;-) ;-) lol where did you get yours? I'm going check my LFS but I may need to order it. I wish it was summer! Remind me never to start a planted tank build in winter ever again!

Last edited:
My original 6 stems came from AquariumPlants.com. I hate winter when I can't get anything in that's live. If it was warm I would send you some stems, it grows like a weed in my tank and I actually put my cut stems in the fancy goldfish tanks for them to snack on. I also get tons of rotala macrandra clippings.

My original 6 stems came from AquariumPlants.com. I hate winter when I can't get anything in that's live. If it was warm I would send you some stems, it grows like a weed in my tank and I actually put my cut stems in the fancy goldfish tanks for them to snack on. I also get tons of rotala macrandra clippings.

Yeah, I wish I could fast forward to spring. I'm going to check my LFS this weekend but I may just have to wait till spring

I ordered some plants from aquariumplants.com a few weeks ago and they really had almost no ill affects.

I've been reading some of the comments, it sounds like fun. I've never done a planted tank, what are the differences? Ie. temp, water changes and cleaning, is it the same?

I've been reading some of the comments, it sounds like fun. I've never done a planted tank, what are the differences? Ie. temp, water changes and cleaning, is it the same?

I would say the water changes and cycles are alot easier. at least for me. It gets a bit tricky with more light because you start having to dose fertz and such for your plants but this is my first planted tank an I love it! Heck, I watch my plants as much as I watch my fish!

Back
Top Bottom