my 5 gallon update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdp242

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after cycling my 5 gallon tank for about 2 weeks with live rock, my tank is ready to go and added 3 cerith snails yesterday. They have been active. I have observed them borrowing themselves in the sand as well as being on the glass and on the heater. I am thinking give my tank 5-7 days with them in there and if everything is good l I will add a goby!

Ill try to get a picture up later. I was going to do a hector goby!

Your extremely limited to the amount of fish u can put in that tank y did u chose a 5 gal tank

Yup, only the clown goby really - I have a yellow one and it's awesome! Can do a couple of cool inverts tho. Is this your first salt tank? Planning on a reef?

Yup, only the clown goby really - I have a yellow one and it's awesome! Can do a couple of cool inverts tho. Is this your first salt tank? Planning on a reef?

Yup it is my first one. I am doing a simple saltwater too start, and see how I like it. As for why it is a 5 gallon, I had a 5 gallon laying around the house doing nothing so I decided to put it to use.

Bdp a hector is to active for that size tank, ive got a black clown goby in my 3g and love him. Great fish. Really no argueing in with only a clown goby in anything less than 10g.

I agree with fishman, that goby gets 3". You could possibly get away with a red hi fin/ pistol shrimp pair

I also plan on getting hermit crabs since they stay small

But you do understand about the goby right? Its cruel to keep a fish in such a small tank when its way to active and could live a better life in a bigger tank or at the lfs.

But you do understand about the goby right? Its cruel to keep a fish in such a small tank when its way to active and could live a better life in a bigger tank or at the lfs.

Yea I do. I just want to do something simple with saltwater. Start off small, and if I like it I will get a bigger tank!

As for a ten gallon, would could one put in there compared to a five gallon?

Yea I do. I just want to do something simple with saltwater. Start off small, and if I like it I will get a bigger tank!

As for a ten gallon, would could one put in there compared to a five gallon?

Well first off, the smaller the tank the harder to maintain and this is coming from experience with a pico. I have add 1/4g of RODI daily and my 3g stays at 76° F.

The next thing is wc, adding Water with a even 2-3° difference with really effect the temp of the whole tank, and next salinity, you have to make sure to keep you salinity right because again in a small tank it doesnt take much to change.

In a 10g heres a list of fish you could do that are easy to keep-
Clown goby
Court jester goby
Zebra barred dart fish
Red fire fish
Purple fire dish
Yasha goby
Tail spot blenny
And many more, those are just off the top of my head but just wanna put in there, CLOWNFISH SHOULD NOT BE PUT IN ANYTHING BELOW 20Gs! (made it bold so it will catch your attention lol ;)).

Also a hectors goby would be fine in a 10g.

Last edited:
Once I do get a house, I do want a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. 55 gallon would be a lot easier to keep all levels decent. The saltwater store near me has a 520 gallon saltwater and it is so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom