My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tanins are cool!!!! They give the water a lot of what it would have in nature....believe me....the fish don't mind. Through regular W/C you will dilute the tanins. Adding chemicals will work, but may also cause other problems with fish and or plants. I say let nature take its course.....your W/C should be enough.

tanins are cool!!!! They give the water a lot of what it would have in nature....believe me....the fish don't mind. Through regular W/C you will dilute the tanins. Adding chemicals will work, but may also cause other problems with fish and or plants. I say let nature take its course.....your W/C should be enough.

I just have been battling algae, cloudy water and trying to figure which is which! the new filter is def helping cloudiness

As the filter media ages, it gets better and better at trapping smaller and smaller particles. Having crystal clear water, healthy fish and vibrant plants is all a very fine balancing act that only comes with time. Don't rush it....especially if using chemicals to make water clear. Water changes are the way to go. Be careful about overfeeding and photo periods. I have crystal clear water but it took about 6 months. I had more than my share of problems though. First with water, then with fish, and finally with plants. I am still working on the plants part. You will be OK!

really good advice !

very good advice ! its a learning curve alright, doing is the best experience i spent months reading (which i still think is totally essential and cannot be skipped) and now only 3 months (?!?! is that right) doing, im on my 3rd 55g and a nano 10g and growing out discus fish (not lost any - lets see how big i can grow them, stunted fish might happen to a rookie like me) and im hooked, but its true, its a balancing act and then some! i wanted low tech as possible, more to go wrong i thought (pendulum swings) the more variables i added, but now im craving more demanding plants, rescapes and those variables, but i took it on a piece at a time, i cant believe i EVER had plastic plants, like i cant believe that was ME .....*boggle* i think the better you get at fish, if thats what gets you hooked, the better you HAVE to get at plants and water chemistry ! anyway just wanted to give a solid thumbs up to your advice here Dwayne, tank on ! (y)(y)(y)(y)

As the filter media ages, it gets better and better at trapping smaller and smaller particles. Having crystal clear water, healthy fish and vibrant plants is all a very fine balancing act that only comes with time. Don't rush it....especially if using chemicals to make water clear. Water changes are the way to go. Be careful about overfeeding and photo periods. I have crystal clear water but it took about 6 months. I had more than my share of problems though. First with water, then with fish, and finally with plants. I am still working on the plants part. You will be OK!

you always have great advice! I appreciate everyone who is helping me!

my nitrates are 5-10ppm..and i am dosing PPS-Pro 10ml daily.. how much higher in mls should I go?

If you want your nitrates a little higher than I suggest doubling your daily dose of nitrates 2 times a week and monitor the levels. With PPS-Pro you can use more or less depending on the needs of your tank. So if a level is too low you increase it a little and monitor the level for a couple weeks. If need be you can increase it again if it's still too low. Or if a level is too high you can not dose something for a week or lower the amount of times you use it weekly. Remember if a nutrient such as nitrates is low week after week the plants in the tank are obviously using it and you need more in your water to keep levels up.

my newest addition!! blue ghost veils! got them yesterday and doing well in QT!
my tank still had BBA! I can't seem to figure it out! So I've come to accept that it may take me a long time to figure out
Plants are growing in nice!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130713_085041.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130713_085041.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 45
I had the same battle. I gave the tank bottom a good vacuuming in addition to a 50% water change.I had to uproot all of the the plants and give them a bath in diluted hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes. I took a soft bristle toothbrush and scrubbed away all the BBA while they were in the bath. Next I gave them a bath in leaf zone for about 30 minutes and replanted in my tank with a root tab under each plant. I also added liquid CO2. I reduced my lighting to 6 hours max per day and reduced my feeding a lot. I have not had a problem since. A bit more than others would do I know, but I had a pretty severe and recurrent problem. I have not had a problem in 6-8 weeks now. The key is water changes, with reduced lighting and feeding. Hope this works for you.
D

I had the same battle. I gave the tank bottom a good vacuuming in addition to a 50% water change.I had to uproot all of the the plants and give them a bath in diluted hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes. I took a soft bristle toothbrush and scrubbed away all the BBA while they were in the bath. Next I gave them a bath in leaf zone for about 30 minutes and replanted in my tank with a root tab under each plant. I also added liquid CO2. I reduced my lighting to 6 hours max per day and reduced my feeding a lot. I have not had a problem since. A bit more than others would do I know, but I had a pretty severe and recurrent problem. I have not had a problem in 6-8 weeks now. The key is water changes, with reduced lighting and feeding. Hope this works for you.
D

I'm going to have to try this.. what's the peroxide to water ratio?
I do weekly WC and my lights are now are on a timer for 6hrs and STILL not better.. i also feed M/W/F

I would have to refer yo to my Coach Rivercats.
I took a 5 gallon bucket of tank water and added a cup of hydrogen peroxide. My hydrogen perixide concentration was 3% like you get in any department store.
Good luck!
D

am I supposed to trim the new growth in first pic?
my angel's are doing great in main tank!also I'm scared to up root some of my plants right now.. so i started on my Amazon Sword. I turned of filter & lights and used syringe with peroxide.. hoe long does it take to tell if it's working!?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130716_104205.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130716_104205.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130716_104222.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130716_104222.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 60
blue ghost babies

love them !!! i too got blue ghost veils x blue smokey actually, and they are just adorable so i share in your enthusiasm whole heartedly :D

Yes, trim the plants in 1/2 in the first picture and replant the tops. BBA should start turning color, red, pink, or white in about 24 hours. That means it's dying. Also did you leave your filter off 20 minutes after treating?

Yes, trim the plants in 1/2 in the first picture and replant the tops. BBA should start turning color, red, pink, or white in about 24 hours. That means it's dying. Also did you leave your filter off 20 minutes after treating?

Yes probably half hr bc I forgot!

well I lost one of my angel's :'( I don't know what happened or why... nothing else in tank died.. now the other one is all alone lol
plants from Peabody's should be here friday! can't wait!
I'll post pic when i add to tank! (not good at scaping)
also the BBA is much better! I did some major trimming, lowered light period to 4 hrs, and tweaked glut and PPS-Pro..
now that it's better, can I put lights back up to 5 or 6 hrs?
Btw, having lights on a timer is the best!!

well I lost one of my angel's :'( I don't know what happened or why... nothing else in tank died.. now the other one is all alone lol
plants from Peabody's should be here friday! can't wait!
I'll post pic when i add to tank! (not good at scaping)
also the BBA is much better! I did some major trimming, lowered light period to 4 hrs, and tweaked glut and PPS-Pro..
now that it's better, can I put lights back up to 5 or 6 hrs?
Btw, having lights on a timer is the best!!

Sounds like things are much better. I would not begin raising your photoperiod until it is gone. Then slowly raise it by 1/2 hour every 2 weeks. That way you will be able to see if that extra amount of time is going to cause problems. If at any point algae starts again you'll know to back down 1/2 hour and keep your lights on for that amount of time daily.

Timers are wonderful!!!!

If you are losing fish...I have a couple of questions:

how often are you hanging out the carbon in your filters?
Have you added any new chemicals or meds lately?
Have you had fluctuations in PH.

If there are no problems in these areas, you may want to invest in a TDS and conductivity meter. Angels like soft slightly acidic water with low TDS and conductivity. Some may be fine with high TDS and condictivity but others are not.
I have 10 in a 75 gallon aquarium. They are large (about 5 1/2 inches) and doing quite well, but when my TDS are over 200 and my conductivity over 300, they show signs of acute stress. I keep my PH at 6.5, TDS at 119 and conductivity at 90. Might sound complicated, but if you are using 50/50 water, these numbers are easy to maintain.
DD

Back
Top Bottom