My 55g Reef Buildout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 1 raw unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30G to provide a decent ammonia source to start my cycle. You should have the sump going as well.

That's what I was afraid of. With my current funding, I can either build the sump, or buy everything else, but not both (for another week). I guess sump it is:)

Well, you can always add the sump later. Are you planning a sump/fuge or just sump with only water and equipment in it?

I am not 100% sure yet. It really depended on how big I was going to be able to make the sump. I was leaning toward a sump, with a HOB fuge, but again, that depended on exactly how long the sump would be (I dont have much width to work with, that's why I can't convert an aquarium for use).

Would it be best to do the sump during the cycle? I can get circulation going without one (closed loop), but I want to do what would be *best* for my aquarium. I just called the plastics place, and they are only open 8am-5pm M-F, so I am not sure I'd be able to even get the sump built this weekend. If that is the case, I'll just order everything I need and do the sump build next weekend and start the cycle then (I should have everything but LR by Friday next week if I order this weekend), and I can pickup LR locally.

I just tried to get the Acrylic, and I couldn't fit it in the van (I didn't remove the middle seats so it didn't have 8 feet of clearance). I guess I'll order base rock and pumps this weekend.

Well, I bought some plumbing from Lowes and a SCWD&Mag 7 pump yesterday from a LFS. I started building my Closed loop last night, but ran out of teflon tape and noticed my pvc cement is jelly instead of the normal goo (probably from sitting in a texas garage for the summer), so I'll be heading to Home Depot in a little while.

I also have some base rock from Marco coming that I ordered Friday.

Is there anyplace I can buy the water jugs that the LFS's carry, for cheaper than the LFS (Both want around $10/each for the jugs)?

About 5 gallons, to move water from store to home. What you would use to move RO water from the LFS to your house if you didn't have a filter. Opaque white, with a screw on top...

Try USPlastics.com for a cheaper alternative. A RODI unit is only about a hundred dollars on eBay. A very good investment IMO.

I second Cmor on getting your own unit. Check out this seller on Ebay, I got my RO/DI unit from them nearly 3 years ago. Great price and an excellent product.

As for the Jugs you are talking about your local hardware store or if you have them Tractor supply should have them.

I am probably going to pickup a RO unit locally, because it comes out to be the same as the ebay units with shipping.

Yesterday, I also started building a new stand. The current one didn't have enough room under it, so I am expanding. I should be able to put 2x 20gallon tanks under this one without any issue.

Do you guys think a 2x4 can hold a 48" span with a 55 gallon ontop of it, or should I go ahead and add the braces? Ive been told a 36" span is okay, but that person hasn't replied on if a 48" is.

I already had most of the wood on hand, and I'll be able to get an aquarium for a sump cheaper than builing a custom acrylic one.

Okay, I just ordered some of my equipment. I have the Octopus skimmer, 2x 150watt titanium heaters, a MagDrive 950, test kits and RO/DI system coming. Apparently the local area units are shipped in too, and have shipping costs associated with them, so I went ebay.

I guess that just leaves sand, LR and a sump.

Do you guys think a 2x4 can hold a 48" span with a 55 gallon ontop of it, or should I go ahead and add the braces?

I would add a brace. All the 48" stands I've seen have a center brace at least on one side, and if there is no center brace on the other side there are partial sides to reduce the unsupported span. It might be OK at first, but if the wood sags over time it could leave the tank unsupported.

I would add a brace. All the 48" stands I've seen have a center brace at least on one side, and if there is no center brace on the other side there are partial sides to reduce the unsupported span. It might be OK at first, but if the wood sags over time it could leave the tank unsupported.

I agree!!!!

Take it from me. (see my thread) Put a center brace front and back so you don't get any sag in the wood. 2x4's turned on edge could probably support the weight but why risk it?

Okay, center brace it is.

Next question. Would I want a longer, or taller tank for a Sump? Petco currently has 20 gallon (tall and long) tanks on sale for $20.

Its either 4 inches taller, or 6 inches longer. I would think I'd want a longer sump if I have room (so I can spread out more). Am I right or wrong?

Looking at it, I am actually going to get a 20Tall today after work. My skimmer only needs 9x7 to work with, which will leave me enough room for other stuff. this will allow me to use it in a smaller footprint too.

Well, the 20 Tall went out the window and I got a Long instead.

Ive been working all afternoon on the stand. Its to the point where I just need to put sides on it, make doors and paint/stain/seal it.

I also picked up a 29gallon for a QT tank (so I now have a 55g, 29g QT and 20g sump sitting here empty, and a 29g FW planted running in the front living room).

55lbs of BR showed up today from Marcorocks (out of 80lbs). They shipped the 2 boxes on different days:\

2803893390_339ce1b90a_m.jpg

I still have my equipment coming. Everything looks scheduled to be delivered Thursday or Friday except for the RO/DI filter. They just shipped it UPS today, and I doubt it is in the 1 day transit area for me. Oh well, teaches me to wait to the last minute to order something.

Finally figured out where I am going to put the tank. I was going to have it in my game room, but it was going to be just an inch or 2 too close to the pool table, so I decided to have it in the front living room.

Lets hope that my RO/DI unit arrives friday so I dont do something stupid and go buy water.

Now, for my questions:)

If I buy 30lbs or so of Live Rock, and put it in the tank when I first fill it up, do I still need to cycle the tank, or would it just be Curing the LR? I plan on getting LR from the local club, or from a LFS, and don't plan on having it out of water for long. I am just trying to figure out where I would be at that point so I know what I'd have to monitor the most.

You are still going to have a cycle it just isn't going to be much of one. I would still suggest using a shrimp or feeding the tank during this period so the bacteria has a food source. You may not see a cycle at all but with only 30lbs of actual LR you will need to introduce an ammonia source to keep things going and help increase your bacteria colonies.

Back
Top Bottom