My 75G FOWLR build thread. (woot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate chain pet stores - the petsmart around here doesnt even sell SW fish. My LFS is a small family owned store and only sells and services SW so its nice because of quality =)

I'd rather petsmart not sell saltwater. Petco's is disappointing. :(

Nothing like a dead yellow tang still in the tank to ruin the mood....

I tried to. >> Unfortunatly my lfs (the only one for 75 miles) only specialized in cichlids and discus for freshwater so I have to play nice with the chains for mollies or platys.

I'd rather petsmart not sell saltwater. Petco's is disappointing. :(

Nothing like a dead yellow tang still in the tank to ruin the mood....

Yea.. They generally have people in the fish department that don't even know FW let alone SW. Every time I go there, the SW fish look pitiful and at Petco it's even worse! I can understand that they are a corporate buisness, but if you're going to do something then do it right!

On another note, yet more bad news.. Tonight my parents :censor:ed at me about money.. again. So looks like I have three options: 1) sell everything aquarium related and re-start when I'm done with college. 2) ignore their :bad-words: and just keep on going with the plan, but I don't want to listen to it anymore.. so I don't know.. and 3) sell everything, buy a car, get a (REAL) job, and earn money to re-buy everything. The problem with that is that everything was either a really good deal or it was luck that I got it for the price I got it.

And everything was going so well.. :slurp:

That's disappointing. :(

My parents pulled the same on me. I paid for my car by selling my 150 year old violin. Saddest day ever. I guess they think giving up a hobby for something will make it more important and you can get back into it later.

I still don't have another violin though... that's a cruel parent trick. Maybe atleast downgrade?

That's disappointing. :(

My parents pulled the same on me. I paid for my car by selling my 150 year old violin. Saddest day ever. I guess they think giving up a hobby for something will make it more important and you can get back into it later.

I still don't have another violin though... that's a cruel parent trick. Maybe atleast downgrade?

I may just sell alot of stuff I don't use anymore and the tanks I have, I mean its not like I can't get a new tank someday. I did some math and from what I see, I could get around 500 for the tank, stand, sump, pump, ATO, and light. I also may be able to sell my drums for like 400, but I'll have to think that one over.

Oh well, xD I guess everyone was right about aquarium keeping being expensive. :rolleyes:

Sorry about that but my advice is not to give up...if aquariums keeping is your hobby and it makes you happy (like it does for me!) then find some other way and dont let anyone take that away from you!

Good luck though...

Yea.. They generally have people in the fish department that don't even know FW let alone SW. Every time I go there, the SW fish look pitiful and at Petco it's even worse! I can understand that they are a corporate buisness, but if you're going to do something then do it right!

On another note, yet more bad news.. Tonight my parents :censor:ed at me about money.. again. So looks like I have three options: 1) sell everything aquarium related and re-start when I'm done with college. 2) ignore their :bad-words: and just keep on going with the plan, but I don't want to listen to it anymore.. so I don't know.. and 3) sell everything, buy a car, get a (REAL) job, and earn money to re-buy everything. The problem with that is that everything was either a really good deal or it was luck that I got it for the price I got it.

And everything was going so well.. :slurp:
That really sucks man. My parents are now giving me flack as well saying that all these tanks are going to drive up the electric bill. there saying the same thing to me about selling all my fish and buying a car. If you do end up selling your fish stuff let me know. I will gladly buy it off you.:king:

Tanks do place a bit of a hurt on the electric bill. The cost with and without in a small place like an apartment is actually pretty amazing. The car is an amazingly useful trade off, but i'd just hate to see you get out of something you enjoy. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Sorry about that but my advice is not to give up...if aquariums keeping is your hobby and it makes you happy (like it does for me!) then find some other way and dont let anyone take that away from you!

Good luck though...

You know you coukd just downsize instead of just throwing it all down the drain if you really want. I might end up doing the same thing because of my parents.

you could skip the 10g.

I hate cars, the only reason I have one is because the wife insists. If it were up to me I'd sell it.

Just my opinium, could you tell your parents to wait just a bit and you will try to get a real job and see how it goes from there. You might get a higher paying job and all will work out. Just a thought...

Just my opinium, could you tell your parents to wait just a bit and you will try to get a real job and see how it goes from there. You might get a higher paying job and all will work out. Just a thought...

Well I keep telling them my plan is to take my dads car (95' lumina.. shut up it works fine :clown:) get a job somewhere that actually pays, and earn money for a new (well, used) car and also spend a bit on my fishkeeping addiction. But that seems to be problematic for them..

Oh well. I doubt I'll actually end up selling anything, because then they will feel bad and stuff. xD There's no way to win at this!

Back
Top Bottom