My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered some new ferts and got some Iron, manganese, and GH booster due to using R/O water.
Took a pinch of the manganese and 2 small pinches of the iron to start everything off till morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is my new centerpiece setup. I can not seem to get what I'm looking for in my setup but I like this better than any I've done this far. I have some flame moss on the DW too in a few spots. You can see the holes in the Anubis and basically the same in the Amazon sword too.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435078700.674492.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435078843.857379.jpg

I need some advice here as I am confronted with a few issues.
They may all be related to the same issue too but I need some help from my buddies.
1st is my Hygrophila Augustafolia:
Shortly after putting in the tank I noticed the leaf pattern changing to a ruffled edge. Some of the lower leaves have started coming in beautiful as of lately as you can see below. I put a pinch of Potassium Sulfate in to see if it is a Potassium issue. Am I in the right direction with this one?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437065190.492930.jpg

2nd is my Amazon Sword:
Holes in my leaves which I have researched to be either a lack of Potassium or Manganese.
I haven't noticed any new holes since adding the Potassium Sulfate to the tank but I will monitor closely to see if possibly it corrects #1 & 2.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437066045.563342.jpg

3rd and last issue:
My Ludwegia Repens:
The tops look great with nice red hints to it but the bottom older leaves
Appear to be dwindling away. The leaves are not yellowing but are getting dark green and looks like some type of algae growing on them.
My research said dark leaves was a sign of Phosphate issue. My Phosphate runs at about 30ppm. I do not add KNO3 when I dose ferts due to stocking taking care of it. Here's a pic of the repens.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437065947.383029.jpg
Lower leaves
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437065975.872642.jpg

Any help from the Pros is appreciated. If your not a Pro and have experienced these same issues and overcome them please share your experience with me too.
Thanks in advance.
I should also add:
Ammonia 0-.25 / PH 7.2 / Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-30 / Phosphate 3
Lighting: (1) 48" satellite +Pro 9 hrs/day
Filter: Fluval 405 (no carbon)
Water change Tuesday's 30 gallons
1 hrs before lights on:
PPS Pro ferts daily 8ml of macro and micro.
Metricide 14 @ 4ml/ day

Ordered some microsword and a new red tiger lotus from BamaPlants today.
Also made a trip to my local place and picked up a new friend.
Picks later.

Looks to be potassium deficiency . Hygro is a pota. hog. I over dose it after every wc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brookster and TT! How do I know how much to increase the Potassium? How much to add to the water after the water WC?

Thanks Brookster and TT! How do I know how much to increase the Potassium? How much to add to the water after the water WC?

What ferts do you use currently?

sit in silence...

I dose pps pro with a bit more potassium mixed in. After wc I add a cap full of seachem pot. that i had left over from my early days. Can you post a link to your ferts?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437261147.291315.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437261147.291315.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 59
You dose as directed? I'd double the pot sulfate in the mix or add a tsp. After wc.
Ps- sweeet eba!!!

Thanks Brookster. I just threw in a couple pinches earlier and that's what I did last week too. It got a little better on the fist dose.
Thanks. My wife ❤️'s those EBA. We have 3.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437270658.343475.jpg

Oh and yes I have been dosing as recommended.
I picked up a GBR yesterday but he's hard to get a good pick of. They only had males so I just got one so far.

Don't think overdosing will hurt..I'd like some one day.. they're like huge ebr:) im a sucker for the electric blue strains.. shhhhh, don't tell anyone though..don't want to lose my street cred..

Yes they are beautiful. The EBA can real havoc on some plants though sometimes. It seems they just really enjoy pulling stuff up.
Once the plants grab hold they don't mess with too bad. But I could record a video of them grabbing the Anubias Hastifolia and playing tug a war from two different sides almost daily. But it's pretty tough and shakes em off.

As I was looking around I ran across a page that was worthy of reading to me being as I have never really thought of it.
I have been having some issues with a few plants and adding large amounts of K2SO4.
The article I found described GH and KH. I picked up the kit to check these.
My KH was 3* and the GH was 2.5*.
The KH I understand to be OK.
The GH I understand to be extremely low for a planted tank and even for tropical fish.
I know this low reading is due to me purchasing RO/DI water when I do my water change every week.
My well water has a big softener unit on it so I can't use that water.
I added 48g of GH booster yesterday and checked it this morning when I woke up.
KH=3*. GH=4*
Today I added the following being as I did my PWC (50%) yesterday:
Another 48g of GH booster
2 tsp of K2SO4
7ml PPS Pro micro & macro
5 ml metricide 14 as CO2 supplement

I understand that I should have my GH around 6* - 12* for a planted tank so I will try and figure out my mix to accomplish this.
If anyone has insight on this and would like to enlighten me I have open ears ?

Seachem equilibrium! I use it after every wc.

Also want to say the plants I received from Bama Plants were "Top Notch".
Here's a pic of the red tiger lotus with 2 new leaves already that are nicely marbled. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438187328.640619.jpg

Back
Top Bottom