My 90 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll check it out Brookster. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have been cutting back and propagating the hornwort for a little while now and it's Definately getting thicker now.
The taller it gets the pressure from the inlet really blows it over.
Considering one of the splitter inlets to reduce the flow by splitting it into 2 directions.
Also considering DIY spraybar. I kinda like this idea to keep from blowing the plants around but not really sure how well the water would flow to the return. Instead of flow around the tank length it would cycle by the height.
What issues have people had with this?
I guess I could put a power head on a timer too.
Feedback please?

After changes made yesterday to get the water parameters in line I checked them 1st thing this morning.
Ammonia 0 / PH 7.2 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 25 / KH 3* / GH 8*

Anyone following knows I jumped from 3* to 8* GH in a couple days by adding the necessary elements.

Today I dosed 5 ml of micro and macro along with 5 ml of metricide.

Now I am starting to see a bloom of algae coming on the hornwort and the Amazon Sword.
Wondering if I'm dosing too much and causing the bloom? Thats why I cut back my dose today.
I have been giving almost 7 ml daily of micro and macro.
I will figure this stuff out one day....or at least have a better understanding that I will never figure it out. But it sure is fun for a OLD man...lol

After changes made yesterday to get the water parameters in line I checked them 1st thing this morning.
Ammonia 0 / PH 7.2 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 25 / KH 3* / GH 8*

Anyone following knows I jumped from 3* to 8* GH in a couple days by adding the necessary elements.

Today I dosed 5 ml of micro and macro along with 5 ml of metricide.

Now I am starting to see a bloom of algae coming on the hornwort and the Amazon Sword.
Wondering if I'm dosing too much and causing the bloom? Thats why I cut back my dose today.
I have been giving almost 7 ml daily of micro and macro.
I will figure this stuff out one day....or at least have a better understanding that I will never figure it out. But it sure is fun for a OLD man...lol

Lol I have had the same problem. Finding that perfect balance. Hope you can find it!

Caleb

Thanks Caleb. One of these days.....

I have a problem that I need help with. I get this brown film or stain on the inside of my canister filter every week when I clean it.
I originally thought that it was a bacteria bloom for some reason.
Not really sure but it is a mess to clean.
Here is a pic showing my stones and how the canister is discolored from what ever this is.
I did miss last weeks filter cleaning due to wedding preparations for my son; but I still did a 50% PWC.
Should I be concerned?
What is it and how do I correct the imbalance if that's what it is?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439391809.148285.jpg

Looks like normal filter waste to me. Detrius, uneaten food etc. Do you run filter floss or anything for mechanical filtration?

Jesse

Looks like normal filter waste to me. Detrius, uneaten food etc. Do you run filter floss or anything for mechanical filtration?

Jesse

That's just all.the poops man.. nothing to worry about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do run the micro filter in one can of the canister. Thanks Guys.

By adding the liquid CO2 metricide to my tank daily how do I know if I am getting enough or too much CO2?
Should I or could I use a drop checker as the the pressurized systems run to get a reading of the balance. Until this point I have just used the recommended dose.
I have only heard of them used with the pressurized CO2 injection.

By adding the liquid CO2 metricide to my tank daily how do I know if I am getting enough or too much CO2?
Should I or could I use a drop checker as the the pressurized systems run to get a reading of the balance. Until this point I have just used the recommended dose.

I'd be interested in this answered as I use Metricide as well. I'd like to play with co2 system again but don't want like you said to have too much co2/glut goin.

Any new fish? How's the tank filling in man?

Caleb

Unfortunately you cannot use a drop checker to measure glutaraldehyde in your tank. It is not actually CO2, but rather, a form of carbon that can be utilized in plant respiration from what I understand. It is better to err on the side of a lower dosage and work your way up.

It's pretty nuts right now as I still don't have it dialed in. Plants are growing strong for not being pressurized.
I am developing some green fuzzy algae on some of the DW.
Not sure if not enough glut or too much light. Cutting back on the light now.
I'll do some updates in a day or so after I clean her up. I need a trim in a bad way.....lol
No new fish.....but I did add 5 merited snails. I see 4; not sure about the 5th one.

Gonna do my PWC today with a twist. I now have a water source before my water softener so I will be using some of this water instead of all RO water.
Going to go with 50/50 mix of the waters being as the well water was at 15 GH 16 KH. The test I did reduced it to 7 GH and 8 KH which I believe to be better numbers.
Gotta put some of my plants back in the gravel thanks to some little scaled friends too. Pics to follow.

Doing a 50% PWC tomorrow so I checked my parameters today and here are my results:
PH-7.4 Ammonia-.25 Nitrate-0 Nitrate-2.5-3 Phosphate-3 GH-7 KH-3

The Carbonate hardness I have read should be around a 5 for planted tanks. How true is this and should I be concerned with this?
I also read below a 3 on KH would create PH swings that could be hazardous to my fish.
What is the easiest way to increase the KH without having a negative impact on my other parameters?Heres an updated pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443108515.201112.jpg

Like this tank alot!! Them eba mannn

Thanks Brookster123 ?‼️
That means a lot coming from a expert like yourself. I gotta couple more pics that highlight them too.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443112409.685629.jpg

Another one for ya Brookster123

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443115389.608098.jpg

Hahaha expert... that's like calling a lottery winner an expert at financial gains and planning;)

Back
Top Bottom