My african lake malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
What can I put with these malawi cichlids? Possibly an ell? or ive heard of small freshwater stingrays? Or any other fish.

Some cats and plecos will work but a mbuna tank is best JUST a mbuna tank lol some people mix the different Malawi cichlids like peacocks and mbuna but that should be tried only after your comfortably with proper husbandry of your fish. I keep an OB peacock with my yellow lab colony and he's the tank boss but I don't have any aggression issues. If they were more aggressive mbuna like auratus, johanni, bumblebees, or mainganos then most likely my peacock would get harrassed to death.

Oh okay. And since you seem to no alot about this do you no how to sex them?

Depends on the type that you are talking about some are dimorphic and others monomorphic (male and females differ in color / males and females share the same color) which means venting or proven breeding is the only way if monomorphic

Okay. I have electric yellow. I beleive the males are brighter in color once they mature correct?

There's no way to know with labs without venting or watching breeding behavior

Using a probe to check there vent (private parts) same as snakes

Back
Top Bottom