My Cichlids and New Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the weekend I got 2 red crayfish and 3 red crabs and would like to know if I can keep them with my African Cichlids. My cichlids are:

2 Compact Slim Zebra
1 Afra Cobue
1 White Top Hara
1 Kingsizei
1 OB Peacock
2 Yellow Labs
1 Red Albino Zebra
1 P. Nyererei
1 Cobalt Zebra
And a featherfin catfish

They are between 3.5 inches to 4 inches, with the catfish being 4 inches. I already know that I would need an island for the crabs which I will get before putting them in. The crabs are tiny (Maybe a inch or less) and the crayfish are about 2 inches. They have been good towards one another with no fighting and constant climbing (One crab got out the tank yesterday). I have heard of people keeping them with cichlids and the only thing they mention is to keep everything sealed on top so the crabs don't get out but I would like to ask you all first to get a second opinion. Thank you.

PS: The reason I want to move them is because I dropped the 10 gallon tank that was their home (Sorry crabs and crays), it's okay though because they wasn't inside when it fell.

I have a blue crawfish in my 10 gal with a few swordtails. Everything was fine at first. Started out with 5 swords.....now I'm down to 2.
He literally eats the whole fish. No left over bodies or bones.

That's a blue crayfish right? I bought one of those over the weekend as well, the moment I put them in together, the blue cray immediately (Literally in under 2 seconds), it grabbed one of the red crays, wrapped it like a snake and was biting it, it also grabbed one of the crabs and cut off 2 of it's legs. In the same day I returned it because that blue cray is vicious and would've killed all of them in 1 day.

When molting crays are very soft and require good hiding places. Personally not something I would do

Priest said:
That's a blue crayfish right? I bought one of those over the weekend as well, the moment I put them in together, the blue cray immediately (Literally in under 2 seconds), it grabbed one of the red crays, wrapped it like a snake and was biting it, it also grabbed one of the crabs and cut off 2 of it's legs. In the same day I returned it because that blue cray is vicious and would've killed all of them in 1 day.

The blue cray/craw should be no different disposition wise than your others. Unless you just got a whack job.

How much did they hit you for your blue???

The blue cray/craw should be no different disposition wise than your others. Unless you just got a whack job.

How much did they hit you for your blue???

The price of it was 30 but since I know the guy he gave it to me for 10 but since I returned it, I got the 10 back.

Priest said:
The price of it was 30 but since I know the guy he gave it to me for 10 but since I returned it, I got the 10 back.

Yikes.....$10 is not bad but $30 is crazy. I got mine for free. I live in southern Louisiana and this guy came out of the last sack of crawfish we boiled. Very rare to find one like that but I can say I've seen my fare share. One of the perks of being a southern boy.

Back
Top Bottom