My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 46
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Getting frustrated and impatient, it's been 5days with no change at all now, do u think its worth not putting in any ammonia for a few days? Or do u think I should check-in to the loony place cause I'm goin out of my brain with this cycling lol

Yeah, that's not a bad idea in your case to give it a couple days off. We don't want to got too long though without dosing it. Maybe Thursday or Friday we'll add it again at the absolute latest. You're on the borderline of the time frame where we'll have to ask some questions and see if something weird is going...

eco23 said:
Yeah, that's not a bad idea in your case to give it a couple days off. We don't want to got too long though without dosing it. Maybe Thursday or Friday we'll add it again at the absolute latest. You're on the borderline of the time frame where we'll have to ask some questions and see if something weird is going...

No I won't leave it too long I don't wanna kill anything off in there, I'll start adding ammonia again on Thursday. Thanks Eco

Been following through your cycle log and I hope my 30 gallon doesn't take so long -_-
Look at the bright side, I've been doing a FISH-IN cycle since June 1st and Have absolutely no sign of Nitrites/Nitrates.
As of August 1st, yesterday, I've begun my 30 gallon Fishless Cycle with no media to seed with other than Pure Ace Hardware Ammonia.
I say hang in their, I want hope for my 30 gallon to cycle very soon.

FishDroid26 said:
Been following through your cycle log and I hope my 30 gallon doesn't take so long -_-
Look at the bright side, I've been doing a FISH-IN cycle since June 1st and Have absolutely no sign of Nitrites/Nitrates.
As of August 1st, yesterday, I've begun my 30 gallon Fishless Cycle with no media to seed with other than Pure Ace Hardware Ammonia.
I say hang in their, I want hope for my 30 gallon to cycle very soon.

Yeah this has been going on for quite a while now, very frustrating, I had to wait a month for my tank stand before I even started the cycling so I've been waiting along time to get fish lol. Hopefully yours won't take as long as this.

Keep your chin up! lol I'm on day 52 with no sign of nitrites ever and my ammonia is only dropping .5 per night. So you're still way ahead of me LOL

How long have the nitrites been that high and when is the last time you did a pwc to get them down to a readable level on the chart? If I"m recalling right you did do some pwc to get them down but then they just rose off-chart again quickly, is that right?

Maybe taking a day or so off the ammonia would help, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Definitely following.... :popcorn:

librarygirl said:
Keep your chin up! lol I'm on day 52 with no sign of nitrites ever and my ammonia is only dropping .5 per night. So you're still way ahead of me LOL

How long have the nitrites been that high and when is the last time you did a pwc to get them down to a readable level on the chart? If I"m recalling right you did do some pwc to get them down but then they just rose off-chart again quickly, is that right?

Maybe taking a day or so off the ammonia would help, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Definitely following.... :popcorn:

Day 52 with no nitrites still, I admire ur patience lol, I would of cracked and probably put a few cracks in the tank by now lol. But at least ur ammonia is going down something must be happening.
I can't remember off the top of my head when the nitrites starting going off the chart I'll have to check my notebook when I get home it's at least 20 days tho, the last time I done a water change was last saturday or Sunday I think, i changed about 90% and the next day nitrites were off the chart again. I'm gonna test again tonight and hope for some change :)

Day 52 with no nitrites still, I admire ur patience lol, I would of cracked and probably put a few cracks in the tank by now lol. But at least ur ammonia is going down something must be happening.
I can't remember off the top of my head when the nitrites starting going off the chart I'll have to check my notebook when I get home it's at least 20 days tho, the last time I done a water change was last saturday or Sunday I think, i changed about 90% and the next day nitrites were off the chart again. I'm gonna test again tonight and hope for some change :)

Well good luck! It's maddening isn't it? I look forward to the nightly tests and I think "this time there's going to be some change" and then I test and I'm disappointed and then I have to wait another 24 hours for it to happen all over again. :lol:

librarygirl said:
Well good luck! It's maddening isn't it? I look forward to the nightly tests and I think "this time there's going to be some change" and then I test and I'm disappointed and then I have to wait another 24 hours for it to happen all over again. :lol:

Thanks, you 2 :) surely ur tank has to cycle tho, has there ever been a tank that hasn't cycled? And I know what u mean about the testing u build yourself up to get disappointed, lol.

Day 47
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80 (looks like it's getting darker every day, more on the 80 side now)

Really getting hot now Chris! That tank is cooking!

Day 48
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nitrate 40-80ppm
What do I do now because I haven't added ammo for 2days, today was the day I was gonna start adding it again? And how much??

There's the smiley faces!! Still no dancing fish though, lol.

I'd keep it at 1ppm for until no2 hits 0. The no2 should be at zero soon...if not later today.

Personally I'd feed it 1ppm until the no2 is definitely at 0, then one last time dose the ammo to ~2-3ppm, and if it can drop that to zero with zero no2 in 24 hours...cycle complete! Then just do a massive pwc to get no3 below 20 and add fish!

Make sure you keep a close eye on pH at this point. If you see any sudden drops, knock out a 50-60% water change!

Congrats! (almost :) )

eco23 said:
There's the smiley faces!! Still no dancing fish though, lol.

I'd keep it at 1ppm for until no2 hits 0. The no2 should be at zero soon...if not later today.

Personally I'd feed it 1ppm until the no2 is definitely at 0, then one last time dose the ammo to ~2-3ppm, and if it can drop that to zero with zero no2 in 24 hours...cycle complete! Then just do a massive pwc to get no3 below 20 and add fish!

Make sure you keep a close eye on pH at this point. If you see any sudden drops, knock out a 50-60% water change!

Congrats! (almost :) )

No no dancing fish yet I know I still need to get no2 to 0ppm lol but there will be soon :)
I'll do that then, 1ppm it is. I'll check the ph again tonight and in the morning before work, I don't want anything going abit wrong now lol. :D :D :D :D

Couldn't resist testing earlier than normal today lol,

Day 49
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm :) never thought I'd say that lol
Nitrate 40-80ppm

Can I now top the ammo up to 3-4ppm and check again tomorrow to make sure it all gets converted within the 24hrs?

Woaaaa bud, we gotta break out some ice cream and cake or maybe some beer and steak! Sounds like you're on a roll!

JimmyA said:
Woaaaa bud, we gotta break out some ice cream and cake or maybe some beer and steak! Sounds like you're on a roll!

I ain't gonna lie I opened up a can of beer to celebrate already lol, this is a good day! Hopefully if I can top the ammo up to 3-4ppm now and it all gets converted in 24hrs I can do a big water change tomorrow to get the nitrate down then go out and get some fish :) otherwise I gotta wait til next weekend, which as u can imagine after waiting this long, I don't wanna do.lol.

Back
Top Bottom