My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JimmyA said:
Yeah, I couldn't wait to cycle. Glad it finally happened. I was at the same point you are and then one time I tested nitrites and instead of purple, they were blue - you have to wait about 5 min though! Are you sending out invitations for steak when you cycle?

I really can't wait for that, I don't dance but I'll be dancing the day it cycles lol. And I'm gonna be having a house party when it cycles lol

Looks like your nitrates are rising though, so thats a good sign. The past however many days looked like they were at 10-20, now today they are 20-40. I call that progress.

bstnrdsx said:
Looks like your nitrates are rising though, so thats a good sign. The past however many days looked like they were at 10-20, now today they are 20-40. I call that progress.

Yeah that was a plus side of testing today lol, and the nitrites didn't turn to 5+ as fast either so hopefully it won't be long.

Day 39!!
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite as usual 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm it's goin up, is this good??

Chris22 said:
Day 39!!
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite as usual 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm it's goin up, is this good??

Yep, it shows there's lots of no2 > no3 bacteria pumping it out. Now you've just got to reach the tipping point where it can fully convert it within 24 hours. Another massive pwc isn't a bad idea if you've got it in you (consider it more practice for the fishies :) ), just don't be surprised if the no2 jumps right back up. Even if it does, it'll still reduce the amount since the API kit only goes to 5, so we don't know where it's actually sitting...could be at 15-20...we can't tell. Hopefully we can shave some time off...but you're still WELL within an acceptable time frame for an unseeded fishless cycle.

eco23 said:
Yep, it shows there's lots of no2 > no3 bacteria pumping it out. Now you've just got to reach the tipping point where it can fully convert it within 24 hours. Another massive pwc isn't a bad idea if you've got it in you (consider it more practice for the fishies :) ), just don't be surprised if the no2 jumps right back up. Even if it does, it'll still reduce the amount since the API kit only goes to 5, so we don't know where it's actually sitting...could be at 15-20...we can't tell. Hopefully we can shave some time off...but you're still WELL within an acceptable time frame for an unseeded fishless cycle.

Gdgd :) I don't think I'll be able to do a water change today as I woke up this morning and couldn't move, bad back is one of the signs of gettin old and I'm only 26 lol. i will see how It feels 2mar and if it's good enough I'll do a big water change, anything to speed up this tank.

Congratulations Chris, you are doing great! Getting real close now!

I'm running into the same problem as you Chris.
Granted, I'm not nearly as far into my cycle, but my Nitrites are through the roof. Deep burgundy 5+ for two days now with little to no Nitrates and my ammonia drops to about 2.0 from 4 overnight.

But, it looks to me like you're almost done! huzzah.

Flash081 said:
I'm running into the same problem as you Chris.
Granted, I'm not nearly as far into my cycle, but my Nitrites are through the roof. Deep burgundy 5+ for two days now with little to no Nitrates and my ammonia drops to about 2.0 from 4 overnight.

But, it looks to me like you're almost done! huzzah.

Ur like me, I thought it was a problem then realised I was just being impatient lol, have u set up a cycling thread like this one?? I'd do it if u haven't, I don't know where I'd be with out the people on here lol. Once ur ammonia drops to 0 in 24hrs ull be well on ur way, and I expect that to happen pretty soon if it's already dropping by half. My nitrites have been 5.0+ for about 28 days or so now so it does take a while but I'm positive it'll all be worth it in the end. and yeah hopefully almost done, gonna be weird to actually see fish in the tank when It's finished lol.

Haha, yea I have a thread on it here. What are you planning to stock with?
Also, this community is great! It's funny because any time cycling is mentioned I just look for Eco's post and it's 99.99% of the time there within' like an hour helping those of who are....well lets say not cycling savvy.

Flash081 said:
Haha, yea I have a thread on it here. What are you planning to stock with?
Also, this community is great! It's funny because any time cycling is mentioned I just look for Eco's post and it's 99.99% of the time there within' like an hour helping those of who are....well lets say not cycling savvy.

Cool, I'll check that out. My stocking list at the moment is, 5 glo fish, 5 black phantom tetras, 5 neon tetras, 6 cherry shrimp, 5 corydoras and not sure on the centre piece fish yet, either a dwarf gourami, or a pair of dwarf cichlids, u got any plans for ur stock yet?? And Eco is the man, he's my cycling guru lol.

My stock looks like this for now.
I might change some things around.

3- Apistogramma Cacatuoides
12- Glofish/Zebra Danio
10- Rummynose Tetra
6- Corydoras Panda or Albino.

Flash081 said:
My stock looks like this for now.
I might change some things around.

3- Apistogramma Cacatuoides
12- Glofish/Zebra Danio
10- Rummynose Tetra
6- Corydoras Panda or Albino.

Had a look at those apistogramma fish, they look cool.

Day 40!
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Still can't do the water change today as my back is still giving me grief! Hopefully can do it tomorrow.

Day 41 before water change
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm more onthe 20 side tho, how is this possible, I have live plants could they be the cause of drop in nitrate??

Day 41 after water change and topping ammo bk up.
Ph 7.6
Ammo 4.0
Nitrite 1.0-2.0ppm
Nitrate 10-20ppm

Yes, Chris, plants will consume some of the nitrates. Mine are always close to 0.

Back
Top Bottom