My Fantails are going crazy! Are these eggs on the Moss Ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
I get home from taking my daughter to school and all 3 (mated Moors & young fancy) are tearing the tank apart, wrestling around in the corner. I watched them for a few minutes, all the sudden a huge puff of these little white grains goes flying thru the tank. Some settled on the 2 moss ball in the tank and I got a good pic of one.

We had frys last year but we were totally unprepared. This year I have one of those fine mesh boxes and planned to put some frys in if I saw any.

Anybody able to confirm that those are eggs on the moss ball?

And will my idea of putting frys in the box, leaving it hooked to the rim of my DT for them to grow going to work?

TIA

EDIT: I looked thru the spawing stickey, didn't see anything for Goldfish/Moors :(.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_085114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_085114.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 274
Idk anything about moors but those definitely look like eggs to me, I'd get ready for new babies if I was you :)

Big-j said:
Idk anything about moors but those definitely look like eggs to me, I'd get ready for new babies if I was you :)

I think I'm having faux labor pains lol.
I know fish (Moors) will eat fry, but will they leave the eggs alone?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Lol I'm sure, idk if they'll eat the eggs or no but I'd move the moss balls to that little mesh thing you were talking about just in case ya know?

Big-j said:
Lol I'm sure, idk if they'll eat the eggs or no but I'd move the moss balls to that little mesh thing you were talking about just in case ya know?

Yeah, I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if they need to sit for a while for the male to.... errr.... dose them? lol

I'd assume that they were fertilized when the spawning occurred, I'd go online and find out how moors mate and then if it says that it takes a few days for the male to fertilize em leave em, if not then he's done his job and you can remove them to keep em safe

Big-j said:
I'd assume that they were fertilized when the spawning occurred, I'd go online and find out how moors mate and then if it says that it takes a few days for the male to fertilize em leave em, if not then he's done his job and you can remove them to keep em safe

Yeah, I tried that already and not much pops up on google. Best I could find is ithat t could take up to 36hrs to fertilize them. One comment was, that after a while (day or so) if the eggs aren't fertilized they turn to mush.

One things for sure, the female got tore up good from that egg laying fracas. I'm hoping she's going to heal OK, because her dorsal fin is ripped pretty bad.

Big-j said:
I'd wait and see then give it about two days then remove them

Some if the white looking eggs are getting eaten I think. Or they're falling into the gravel. I see quite a few clear ones still.

Decided to remove the moss balls and cage them. Who knows maybe what I saw wasn't egg laying, but the fetilization process?

The mesh cage is set at the front edge of the tank with a water from one of my filters going straight at it. If they're not fertilized, maybe the water flowing at the cage will fert them.

There's a ton of eggs on a DW and with an up rooted plant I tried to dust them onto the moss, but they were stuck like glue (saw 5 or so out of 50 come off).

I'm thinking the danios were feasting too lol.

More pics.

Oh and one of Gary doing his part ;).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110325_112830.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_112830.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 180
  • ForumRunner_20110325_112855.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_112855.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 187
  • ForumRunner_20110325_113043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110325_113043.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 203
You may still have some success, because it is the unfertilized eggs that will usually turn white, and it is more likely the fish new that they were "duds" and decided to not let them go to waste.

I would keep an eye on the ones that are still clear and see if you can see babies develop inside them.

Good luck! :D

Vircomore said:
You may still have some success, because it is the unfertilized eggs that will usually turn white, and it is more likely the fish new that they were "duds" and decided to not let them go to waste.

I would keep an eye on the ones that are still clear and see if you can see babies develop inside them.

Good luck! :D

I get it, they were cleaning house so to speak :D.

Well the ones on the moss balls are kinda clear, but not white like the ones I first saw.

I have them safe and I'll keep an eye on the tank and try to net any outside the green zone lol.

Thanks!

Looks like everyone's calmed down, except the danios are still in schooling mode (unusual for them actually). Wonder if that's an indicator of what's yet to come? lol

That is too cool! I hope you can save a few of them and that they were fertilized! :D

Speaking of eggs, my 10g was full of them the other day and they were attached to everything! Yep, one of my ADF's is definitely female. ;) lol I don't know the sex of the other one, but if it's a male, he doesn't know how to fertilize eggs. :roll: I ended up removing them from the tank so they wouldn't pollute the water.

Best of luck w/ your eggs! I also hope your female heals up ok. That's sad. :(

McLumpy said:
That is too cool! I hope you can save a few of them and that they were fertilized! :D

Speaking of eggs, my 10g was full of them the other day and they were attached to everything! Yep, one of my ADF's is definitely female. ;) lol I don't know the sex of the other one, but if it's a male, he doesn't know how to fertilize eggs. :roll: I ended up removing them from the tank so they wouldn't pollute the water.

Best of luck w/ your eggs! I also hope your female heals up ok. That's sad. :(

We'll see what happens, I have them contained till I see if any hatch and then it'll be quick to move them to a nursery container. Jsoong PM'd me on what to do if they hatch :).

Finally got to cleaning up the wreckage from the tornado that hit my tank yesterday and possibly this AM. Found that they laid about 50 eggs on a cabomba stalk, so I pulled it out and added it to the nursery tank.

3 days or so and we'll know if we have baby bugeyed fishies :D.

Back
Top Bottom