My Fantails are going crazy! Are these eggs on the Moss Ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost a week old and they're getting eyes balls lol. About 30 have survived, so things are looking good IMO.

EDIT: I meant 2weeks :p.

Attachments

• 2011-04-04 18.33.05-1.jpg
    2011-04-04 18.33.05-1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 143
Thanks!

Not all of them will survive. Jsoong was good enough to give me detailed instructions on what I need to do as they grow. If I'm lucky, 2 or so will mature and my daughter has already got dibbs lol.

Thanks!

Not all of them will survive. Jsoong was good enough to give me detailed instructions on what I need to do as they grow. If I'm lucky, 2 or so will mature and my daughter has already got dibbs lol.

:( I guess I'm too accustomed to livebearers. Their only threat is getting gobbled up by other fish or an intake tube.

Week 3 and the fry are getting a lot bigger, more color and I can see that some that are growing nice big belly's lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110411_112220.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110411_112220.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 129
in just a couple days, the growth has forced the fry out of their bassinet to full access of the tank (actually 4g clear tub :)). Trying to control the filters output was the biggest issue and a handful of poly-fil seemed to work best, along with some netting on the intake tube to keep them from getting sucked into the filter lol. Two days of being in the full tank and growth seems to be accelerating as most have developed bellies and tail fins are much larger too (may be due to extra filter flow around them?)

We had fish sticks to celebrate the fry's one month Bday... JK :p. They're growing really fast and the way things are looking, I'm going to have to start my daughters 20g fry tank before I get my GF brackish GSP done and settled lol.

I think they've double in size (some anyways) in the past week and they're eating 3x as much.

Here's tonights not so great pic.

Attachments

• 2011-04-18 22.49.30-1.jpg
    2011-04-18 22.49.30-1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 109
Weekly update:

The frys are growing at an alarming rate, as they more than doubled in size this past week. They eat everything in site and I'm still feeding them 3x a day. 20g goes together this coming weekend and since I have a couple seeded filters, instant cycle will make the transition easy.

At least I'll get me spare QT back lol.

Attachments

• 2011-04-26 16.13.05-1.jpg
    2011-04-26 16.13.05-1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
Given good conditions, goldfish frys grow really fast. It is about time to think of new homes for some of the babies.... or start planning a pond! :)

Given good conditions, goldfish frys grow really fast. It is about time to think of new homes for some of the babies.... or start planning a pond! :)

I'm moving a select few to a 20g for my daughters room this weekend once I get her approval on placement and what I can put in it :p. Filters is seeded so it'll be an instant cycle setup.

A pond would be great, but renting so unless I come up with a portable pond design, it's tanks only. At some point, a few will get sold/given away on CL and we'll keep 2 or 3.

The sad part is, is that the best looking black moor fry that's my favorite is showing signs if swim bladder disease (at least symptoms of it) so he may be the next one on the culling list of the select 15 left :(. If you have any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to save him.

I wouldn't give up on swim bladder that quickly. Unless there is a physical abnormality such as bent back, missing fin, undeveloped eye, etc. that is causing the balance problem, I would give the fish a chance.

A lot of the time, balance problem is nothing more than just constipation. I would try feeding peas (& more veggies) to see what happens. If that doesn't work in a few days, you can try an Epsom salt bath before culling the fish.

jsoong said:
I wouldn't give up on swim bladder that quickly. Unless there is a physical abnormality such as bent back, missing fin, undeveloped eye, etc. that is causing the balance problem, I would give the fish a chance.

A lot of the time, balance problem is nothing more than just constipation. I would try feeding peas (& more veggies) to see what happens. If that doesn't work in a few days, you can try an Epsom salt bath before culling the fish.

That's good news. It's the best looking one of the bunch, not the biggest, but not the smallest and other than the twisting/turning swim problem there's no other deformities. I haven't tried feeding them peas/veggies yet, but I will tomorrow before they go into the 20g since the fry tank will be empty of plants, filter, etc.

Thanks again for all your help Jsoong!

i think those r eggs as big-j said remove them so they don't get eaten and just wait but me i would also look up how to care for the fry for when they hatch

i would remove the eggs like big-j said and i would also look up how to raise the fry for when they hatch you tried Google but what about You Tube someone could have posted a video on it

Back
Top Bottom