My favorite fish has turned into a monster..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Apparently my SAE is a Flying Fox. He has turned into a monster these last couple of days....chasing everything that has the nerve to move in his vicinity. He has always been my favorite fish....I'm bummed. :ermm:

Jill said:
Apparently my SAE is a Flying Fox. He has turned into a monster these last couple of days....chasing everything that has the nerve to move in his vicinity. He has always been my favorite fish....I'm bummed. :ermm:

Do you have him in a school or by himself?

From what I've read is that they can be aggressive toward other male fish in the tank if not kept in a group but can be happy either way. But that is only what I have read.
What other fish do you have in the tank?
Maybe someone else can chime in? Its been a long long time since I kept one.

I have 9 long fin white clouds, 3 endlers, and 2 corydoras hasbrosus with him in a 30 gallon planted cube. Also quite a few ghost shrimp.

Hmmmm.... I read a post a while back saying they like to feed on other fishes slime coats. Other than that I got nothin. Maybe someone else will know.

Bummer. Well, one thing you can try is to turn off the lights and then re-arrange everything in the tank. Sometimes that helps curb aggression. If its just a bit of chasing, the other fish can deal with it, but if it is too stressful or if he causes damage to any of them, you should re-home him IMO.
I used to keep CAE and i was bummed when I had to re-home them due to aggression issues, but it was better for my tank. Besides, I found a nice lfs that educated people about the needs of the fish so I know they went to a nice, new tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom