My fish has been getting somewhat aggressive towards new fish over deep feeder food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodatrooper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my fish that I have had for almost a year has just gotten some new friends as of today and along with my new fish I got some deep feeder food for my catfish that he has not gotten to eat yet. anyway my fish has been getting aggressive towards my new fish because they take a nibble of it of it, one of them is the same type of fish as him and they get a few nibbles sometimes before they are chased off my other new fish is chased off if he even gets close to it. They are all mollies but different kinds of mollies. Anyways I was wondering if this is just him getting used to having other fishes with him or he is being very aggressive towards them cuz he dose not like them.

How many males and females do you have? It's often easier when there are at least 2 females per male. If you are keeping both males and females.

Otherwise some fish are aggressive Jenks. Especially when there is new competition in the rank.

But an additional consideration, is if the tank parameters are in the safe or unsafe zone. Additional fish and adding more food for the new fish adds additional stress on the BB if you actually have a cycled tank established. It can cause a mini cycle, which may require additional water changes and lighter amounts of food whe the BB grow a larger colony to process the new food source.

What are your tank parameters before a pwc?

I’m not sure as to their gender I merely know their spices and what food they should eat I have the food for them but they seem to prefer the food for my catfish witch eats deep feeder food (duh) so I’m starting to get a little concerned because know the new and the old fish the one being aggressive are hanging at the bottom for the deep feeder food so I’m getting concerned since they seem to want that more than the usual that the other 2 seem to enjoy more

In my signature lines below is an article link for getting started which discusses the nitrification cycle and overall helpful things for running a successful aquarium.

As long as the fish are eating they should be fine.

You need to have the water parameters checked, and if you need a liquid master test kit. Or many local fish stores will test the water for you, sometimes certain stores have specific hours for testing.

Write down what the water parameters are for each thing they test, and keep a log parameters and date, to help see how it's going for the fish in the tank.

Easily additional fish and food in a tank will cause the ammonia to increase which can hurt the fish.

So my fish that I have had for almost a year has just gotten some new friends as of today and along with my new fish I got some deep feeder food for my catfish that he has not gotten to eat yet. anyway my fish has been getting aggressive towards my new fish because they take a nibble of it of it, one of them is the same type of fish as him and they get a few nibbles sometimes before they are chased off my other new fish is chased off if he even gets close to it. They are all mollies but different kinds of mollies. Anyways I was wondering if this is just him getting used to having other fishes with him or he is being very aggressive towards them cuz he dose not like them.
Hello, if I understand correctly I think your worried about your catfish getting enough food. What I suggest is you feed your mollies their food during day & your bottom feeders an hr or 2 after lights out(night) because most of if not all are nocturnal. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom