My first 30g sw tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Joe lemon juice in a syringe works great. Get one with a small needle and use a little bit of juice you can always add more it will kill any thing else around it if you over juice it!

Daniel Fishy said:
Hey Joe lemon juice in a syringe works great. Get one with a small needle and use a little bit of juice you can always add more it will kill any thing else around it if you over juice it!

When I did my water change last night I let the water get below the apistasia and then I used one of those lemon juice plastic bottles and squirted it. Itflew into the rock but I think I got it.

Went to two lfs today but couldn't decide what cuc I wanted lol.

Following this for I have a 25gal I'm turning into a SW aquarium lol can't wait to goto the LFS tomorrow and get the rest of the water... where did you get all that live rock so cheap?

Buddy of mine had a tank crash a couple years back. Had a whole 30g set up with skimmer and sump. I didn't want the skimmer or sump though. I want this as a simple sw mini reef. This eventually is going to be moved into a future 125g+. I'm using this as practice and for a quick start one day to my larger tank

SC350Z said:
Following this for I have a 25gal I'm turning into a SW aquarium lol can't wait to goto the LFS tomorrow and get the rest of the water... where did you get all that live rock so cheap?

Don't get sw tank from the lfs. Just go to jewel with some buckets and get water from the dispensers. Mix your own sw so u get the experience. It'll be cheaper too.

I'm just getting their purified water not the premixed, its $0.50/gal I already have salt ready and have some mixed in already lol (Your lucky I used to date a chick from Chi town bc I would have had no idea what you were talking about haha I'm from NW Ohio, Chicago's the only place they have Jewel lol) so I'll get 10gal for $5 that's not to bad lol if I was filling up more than only 10gal left I'd price shop, but the place is literally 5miles from my house. Here's what I have so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20120724_233215.jpg
    IMG_20120724_233215.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 91
SC350Z said:
I'm just getting their purified water not the premixed, its $0.50/gal I already have salt ready and have some mixed in already lol (Your lucky I used to date a chick from Chi town bc I would have had no idea what you were talking about haha I'm from NW Ohio, Chicago's the only place they have Jewel lol) so I'll get 10gal for $5 that's not to bad lol if I was filling up more than only 10gal left I'd price shop, but the place is literally 5miles from my house. Here's what I have so far.

Haha from jewel I get 5g for the price of 3. At self check out there is only an option for 1g purchase and 3g purchase. I think its like $0.39 a gallon.

I have 2 5 gallon buckets for mixing, 2 5 gallon water jugs for fresh or extra mixing. I'm planning on 5g water changes weekly. It's like 18% of my tank volume lol

That's a good idea! I think I'll do 5gal water change bi-weekly lol whenever I get paid time to change the water that could be a good reminder! But seems like you got a hold on it all lol I'm going to see on some prices on their live rock at the LFS tomorrow and tell ya'll and see if its a good deal or not... (if u don't mind, don't wanna thread jack I'll put it in my SW build thread)

Expect between $5-8 per lb. I couldn't believe how quickly the lbs add up though lol. I thought u would get more rock per lb but I was way off lol

Just get 5lbs of live rock and the rest base rock. Base rock will be a few dollars a pound. That's what I did. 35 lbs of base and 5lbs of live. My tank cycled in 10 days.

Id pick up 20lbs of sand while your there. Don't get live sand its a waste of money.

Also don't get the real fine or "sugar" sand. I find it stirs up really easy.

Did you see how much sand I have in there already!??? lol its 4inches thick lol

Just received my 2 800gph phs. Man are they powerful lol. I put one of them in my 100g fw and man did it stir up a mess with sand.

Now I have one of the 800 gph and the 240gph phs in my 30g. Any suggestions on how to place them?

Back
Top Bottom