My first 30g sw tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joe5688 said:
Just received my 2 800gph phs. Man are they powerful lol. I put one of them in my 100g fw and man did it stir up a mess with sand.

Now I have one of the 800 gph and the 240gph phs in my 30g. Any suggestions on how to place them?

Pics....

Yea can't really see the pumps lol so I read saltwater aquariums should have low flow...??? Is this true? I have a single medium sized pump by aqueon that came with the tank should that be fine or should I upgrade?
Btw got anther 5gal of water today and got the salinity upto 1.022

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120726_182300.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120726_182300.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20120726_182316.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120726_182316.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 76
SC350Z said:
Yea can't really see the pumps lol so I read saltwater aquariums should have low flow...??? Is this true? I have a single medium sized pump by aqueon that came with the tank should that be fine or should I upgrade?
Btw got anther 5gal of water today and got the salinity upto 1.022

Sw tanks should have high flow. I actually might take the other 800gph and put it in my sw tank. I think it is to strong for the fresh water fish.

Hydrometers are inaccurate. mine read 1.023 and when I got my water tested it read 1.026 so when I got home I bought a refractometer lol.

Joe5688 said:
Sw tanks should have high flow. I actually might take the other 800gph and put it in my sw tank. I think it is to strong for the fresh water fish.

Hydrometers are inaccurate. mine read 1.023 and when I got my water tested it read 1.026 so when I got home I bought a refractometer lol.

Yea so I should pry get one like I have in my 55gal tank? Double output TopFin... ?
Yea Ive heard the hydrometers can be a bit off... but the difference is so minimal I don't think it matters from what I've read... I read this article a dude with a doctorate in marine biology wrote and he said he's had better luck with saltier water than what most biologists say.. to me as long as I'm in the right area I think they'll be fine lol

SC350Z said:
Yea so I should pry get one like I have in my 55gal tank? Double output TopFin... ?
Yea Ive heard the hydrometers can be a bit off... but the difference is so minimal I don't think it matters from what I've read... I read this article a dude with a doctorate in marine biology wrote and he said he's had better luck with saltier water than what most biologists say.. to me as long as I'm in the right area I think they'll be fine lol

Hydrometers have been the reason for losing entire tanks. They can be extremely inaccurate especially if there's a bubble on the needle. With how much money will be invested in your tank a refractometer is a must buy

SC350Z said:

Look at the hydor koralias. the 2I just got are from a company called perfect on Ebay. Got two of them for 33 shipped. That's also the brand of filter on my 100g. Read reviews they are all good.

consistency is key with saltwater as far as water params are concerned but from what I read the higher the sg of the water its like thick Air for us. Hard to breath

Mrc8858 said:
Hydrometers have been the reason for losing engires tanks. They can be extremely inaccurate especially if there's a bubble on the needle. With how much money will be invested in your tank a refractometer is a must buy

Agreed and you can get them as cheap as $30 shipped on Ebay

Joe5688 said:
Look at the hydor koralias. the 2I just got are from a company called perfect on Ebay. Got two of them for 33 shipped. That's also the brand of filter on my 100g. Read reviews they are all good.

consistency is key with saltwater as far as water params are concerned but from what I read the higher the sg of the water its like thick Air for us. Hard to breath

Just found some on Amazon with a quick phone search lol seems legit so I can still make use of my filter :) ill do so some hardcore deal searching when I get to the comp lol

Joe5688 said:
Found something awesome at jewel today.

Awesome! We r nerds!!! Check out my latest on my thread Joe! Tell me wat u think about the levels

Haha ok ill check it out

Going to pick up 2 clowns tomorrow. My options are $17.99 each and a 24 hour warranty or 24.99 each with a7 day warranty. The place for $17.99 seems likea more reputable place though

Awesome! The lfs has them for 24.99 here also... not sure on the warranty tho... Michelle found some online for $11 I'm not to sure on that deal but hey its 11 bucks if they end up living then hell yea and if they die o well lol good luck putting them in!

Joe5688 said:
Oscellaris. They also had some black white and orange clowns for $24. Unsure of there name though

Nice! At our lfs they have like 10 different types lol I like the black ice clowns but they are like $300 for a pair.

SC350Z said:
Nice! At our lfs they have like 10 different types lol I like the black ice clowns but they are like $300 for a pair.

Platinum clowns are pretty sweet to

Back
Top Bottom