My first coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a zoa colony for my 18 gallon cube aquarium. I was wondering how long I should keep my light on. I was doing 6 hrs for my fish. Today I set my timer from 7:30 am to 7:00pm. Does anyone have any advice for me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep my light on for about 13 hours a day and then my night light kicks in. My zoa and other coral loves this cycle.

Do you have a problem with alge? What kind of light do you have I don't have a light for night. I just ordered a blue light with 3 blue leds. Do you think that would be sufficient? I'm really new at this hobby. It is very interesting. My peppermint shrimp was all over my zoa at first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run mine 12 hours a day from 11-11. My tank is loaded with coral and I have barely any algae. If you keep nutrients under control algae growth should be limited. I'd say 10 hours would be a good light schedule and I'm working mine down to that

I have a Skkye light which is a 4w LED, it has 3 LED's for the daytime which are 1W a piece, and there are 2 blue nightlights that are .5W a piece. I run both the daytime lights and nighttime lights together throughout the day. My coral love this and are fragging like crazy! I have a emerald crab, 2 hermit crabs, and a snail to clean up any algae and keep the coral clean. I really haven't had a algae problem, just keep up with your water exchanges and you'll be on top of things! I'm fairly new to the hobby, but it's a easy fun hobby to learn.

Back
Top Bottom