My first planted tank - don't laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes they're java ferns. I don't do root tabs in this tank only the liquid ferts (Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive). The ferns were about $6 each.

Wow only $6.00 and there that big already huh? Looks nice great job. I might get a java fern and put it right here... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421192687.973331.jpg behind that big rock

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That would look nice! My LFS normally does not carry any plants, but will special order them. On a whim I asked them to get java fern and they got me these - they were huge and really nice and green, all on a single rhizome so about 4-5 leaves per plant, compared to the 3 junk half brown leaves banded together I got from another place.

Thanks Bren!
In hindsight I wish I had gotten more Pygmy cories but there's always time to do that later on once these guys are settled :)

Thanks Bren!
In hindsight I wish I had gotten more Pygmy cories but there's always time to do that later on once these guys are settled :)

Sorry if I missed this but how many do you have! There are 4 in my tank, 8 more should be here by the end of the week :)

I only grabbed six. I didn't realize how small they were until I put them in the tank.

For sure, especially if I limit to only adding CPDs instead of both them and some type of rasbora. I could do both if I keep up on maintenance but I would be okay with going either way.
I absolutely love cories and these little guys are awesome.

I have CPDs, the cories, and otos and in a moderately planted tank the bio-load is crazy low!

Looks like its time to trim the lemon Bacopa (caroliniana). Nice red tips on them. I would replant the trimmings near the base plants. Soon you will get a decent hedge going. New growth should appear on the trimmed plants in a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Waah! Excited :) saw one of the otos has discovered the algae wafer and is sharing it with some snails.
I was worried about them not eating provided foods but hopefully this guy will tell his crew.

that looks amazing, truly amazing... i so wish i was able to do this. if i may ask what are you using as substrate and how or what did you use to anchor the plants down? if i recall was it rocks with rubber-bands tied around? I am currently on my last try of plants right now, I've decided if this does not work i will no longer waste money every other week to replace dead plants, i will go the cheezy way and use fake... :'(

Amy,
Thanks! Although I'm nowhere near touching some of the other members planted tanks, but not too shabby for a noob :)
I'm using black blasting sand (coal slag), which provides 0 benefit to the plants, I just had extra.
I tied the plants to little rocks with sewing thread. It took forever and was extremely frustrating. Even if you can just keep them towards the bottom pinched between rocks until they grow roots that helps.

Egghead,
Your welcome, and you deserve the credit. Your doing a great job and I know you have put a lot of energy and time into this and were a little nervous as to the outcome but you did it and you did it well!!! I actually have the flourish substrate that looks like gravel, and this time i used rubber bands to tie them to rocks, last few times i tried the thread and OMG what a pain and a patience tester that was only to have the suckers die on me. This time i read the best ways to plant what i have and ended up tying them all to rocks and to driftwood, the anubius i tried to kind of wedge the root a little into a crack in the wood so it wouldnt pop out. i hear you can use superglue also, but yeah i am not to be trusted with such a weapon....

Um, well folks, I may have gone a bit nutty at the auction.
I added 5 boraras maculatus and what was supposed to be 20 cherry shrimp that really ended up being like 60+. I also got 15 fish for my other tanks (red phantom tetras, whiptail cat, aspidoras spilotus, and rasbora volcanus), 4 books, a tank, 5 bags of plants (lindernia grandiflora, giant salvinia, echinodorus atlandsberg, ammania mauritiana, and linnophila rogasa - not sure on spelling of all those), and a monster piece of wood for 70 bucks.
Edit: I got five shell dwellers too whoops!

Back
Top Bottom