My fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giants1249er

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting over again after losing my goldfishes to ich and probably high ammonia levels. I cleaned off the tank and fake plants and ornament with bleach. I started by filling my 10 gallon tank with water and Prime and will increase the temperature to about 82 degrees. The goal is to get my ammonia levels to 4 ppm so I added 1.5 ml Ace Janitorial Strength ammonia.

8/20 2:20pm added 1.5 ml ammonia
8/20 3:45pm ammonia level =4ppm....fish food added
8/21 2:00pm ammonia level =4ppm

Hang in there. It can take a week or two for the ammonia to start dropping. If you can get some seeded media from an established tank it will help kick-start things.

Hang in there. It can take a week or two for the ammonia to start dropping. If you can get some seeded media from an established tank it will help kick-start things.

Thanks. Unfortunately no seeded media available. Tested today...no change.

i am beginning to consider myself a very lucky guy. i had zero probs with cycling. if you notice any drop in ammonia at all redose it back to 4ppm. but yeah make sure to stick w eco and u should be fine. what size tank and what type of filtration do you have?

i am beginning to consider myself a very lucky guy. i had zero probs with cycling. if you notice any drop in ammonia at all redose it back to 4ppm. but yeah make sure to stick w eco and u should be fine. what size tank and what type of filtration do you have?

10-gallon tank with Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Filter. I took the carbon filter out and replaced it with a filter foam and Biomax.

You have a long row to hoe, my 10 gal. is almost done after a month. Just be patient and follow eric's guide and it'll all work out. Key word patient, it's a lot harder than I thought, lol I think quitting smoking was easier for me, than waiting for the warter to turn purple, ugh then waiting on the nitrates..... Patients really is a virtue.

P

You have a long row to hoe, my 10 gal. is almost done after a month. Just be patient and follow eric's guide and it'll all work out. Key word patient, it's a lot harder than I thought, lol I think quitting smoking was easier for me, than waiting for the warter to turn purple, ugh then waiting on the nitrates..... Patients really is a virtue.

P

Yea, I know it's still a long way to go...I was starting to worry because it was getting to the end of 2 weeks and the results have been the same until today. My other 10-gallon has a fish-in-cycle going turned purple a few days ago...so it's coming around s l o w l y but eventually it'll get there.

Today...Ammonia levels between 2-3ppm...Nitrite levels at 5ppm. Redosed ammonia back to 4ppm with 0.8 ml ammonia.
9/3/11...same as yesterday...redosed back to 4ppm.
9/4/11...ammonia level at 1ppm...redosed to 4ppm with 1.2 ml ammonia.

9/3/11...same as yesterday...redosed back to 4ppm.
9/4/11...ammonia level at 1ppm...redosed to 4ppm with 1.2 ml ammonia.
9/5/11...ammonia levels at 0.25ppm...redosed to 4ppm with 1.5 ml ammonia.

9/6/11 ammonia level 0...nitrite level between 0.5 and 1...nitrate 5...redosed to 4ppm with 1.5 ml ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom