my goldfish pond cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok as I mentioned once before we moved into a house with an above ground aprox 160 gallon goldfish pond. I took the 3 koi that were in it and traded them in at a fish store for credit. Last weekend I emptied the pond and scrubbed it out but didnt scrub all the algae off and I used plain water to clean with. I then rinsed all the stones off and filled it back up and put the plants back in. I also got a box filter and attached it to the pump that was already there. I am looking into better filtration but this is what I have for now Among other things I bought 7 various common goldfish ( comets) a month ago. 2 died on the way home but the remaining 5 have doubled in size. I bought 5 more 2 weeks ago and now I have 10 healthy goldfish. I expected a few more to die off but they are eating well and growing

I seeded the box filter with media from my 55 gallon and I have been testing the water every 3-4 days both before I cleaned it out and after. I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and maybe a trace of nitrAtes and have had these same readings for the last month. Even after cleaning everything last weekend it is still the same, so I am assuming the plants along with the box filter are providing sufficient biological filtration and the water is pretty clear. I just expected so much more waist with 10 common goldfish, like at least a nitrite spike or high nitrAtes at this point. But nothing. And there are only two plants in this pond currently.

When the tropical system went by we got a ton of rain and I let some water pump out (about 25%)during the rain to get natural water change but that was just because I feel weekly water changes are necessary to keep any system healthy, even without the presence of high nitrates.

Thoughts? Am I doing anything wrong?

Keep in mind I didn't buy this pond. It was here and I am just working with what I've got. I want to add more plants to make it more aesthetically pleasing. I think I need floating plants to help shade it as well. Maybe I will get a table with an umbrella to go next to it on the patio.

ForumRunner_20120602_144352.jpg

ForumRunner_20120602_144431.jpg

I think a umbrella will be a good temporary fix for the shade problem. Also I think your on the right track for what you have been given. Keep it up and keep us posted.

As long as you experience a steady rise in nitrates and nothing else I'd say your cycled. Whatever seeded media you used must have done the trick. I think the fact that you didn't fully clean it out after the koi helped you too.
Goodluck.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I need to find a place to buy pond plants, I'm not even sure what kind to buy!

I have watercress in mine along with dwarf cattails. I was shocked at the results of my most recent test of nitrates. I went from 30 to 0 in two weeks after introducing the watercress.

Amax25 said:
I like your pond, do you have any idea on how it was constructed?

It appears to just have a liner sandwiched in between the too two boards all the way around and screwed in. When we moved it the liner pulled loose in one corner and we had to remove the logs on that side, Pull the liner through, and screw the logs back down. There is no bottom.

Where do you buy pond plants from?

So is the timber just screwed through the top down to the next 1? Are the corners reinforced with anything? I was thinking about a steel angle for strength but worried it would rip my liner. Also, is it anchored to the ground?

I don't have any pond plants, this will be my first pond build.

Amax25 said:
So is the timber just screwed through the top down to the next 1? Are the corners reinforced with anything? I was thinking about a steel angle for strength but worried it would rip my liner. Also, is it anchored to the ground?

I don't have any pond plants, this will be my first pond build.

No it is not anchored to the ground. It appears to be just wood screwed together , no reinforcements it anything, and the liner sandwiched between the top two.

I did put it on some cement blocks when we moved it because the bottom looks like its starting to rot.

Well I think I've decided on my build materials, I was going to use breeze blocks then clad it with timber but I think I'll just go timber!

none of the fish stores around here have pond plants,They might have one or two bunches of anacharis if im lucky...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom