My goldfish tank !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is the tank and what type of filtration are you using???

Nice looking tank

How big is the tank and what type of filtration are you using???

Nice looking tank

The tank is a 10 gallon and the filter is an aquaclear for a 30 gallon. My plan is to get a 29 gallon asap and switch them to that. I know I have too many in there but 3 are babies and they all seem very happy!

The tank is a 10 gallon and the filter is an aquaclear for a 30 gallon. My plan is to get a 29 gallon asap and switch them to that. I know I have too many in there but 3 are babies and they all seem very happy!

Yes there are too many in there but at least you know that. It's recommended that at least a 30g for one and then another 10g per additional goldfish.

My goldfish tank!

There's actually a sticky in one of the FW forms about how big they get. On the bright side you are planning to upgrade and are aware your over stocked. SW fancys can get to 8in full grown and live 20+ years. Just make sure you have over filtration in the mean time and mabye try to find a new home for a couple as they are babies and small so easier to find a home. Easier to rehome a 2in then a 8in IMHO.

Good advice here already 25-30g per goldfish. Big fish with big bioload eventually.

There's actually a sticky in one of the FW forms about how big they get. On the bright side you are planning to upgrade and are aware your over stocked. SW fancys can get to 8in full grown and live 20+ years. Just make sure you have over filtration in the mean time and mabye try to find a new home for a couple as they are babies and small so easier to find a home. Easier to rehome a 2in then a 8in IMHO.

Good advice here already 25-30g per goldfish. Big fish with big bioload eventually.

I've had then for a while and they don't seem to be growing very fast which will give me time to give them a better home

My goldfish tank!

^ yup also something called stunting, what happens is fish release hormones In the water column to judge a variety of things such as room to grow. What happens is when there's not enough room to grow, fish will actually stop growing there "outer body" scales fins and such along with there skeleton. This is where "fish only gets as large as there tank" advice comes in. But what actually happens is that ther internal organs keep growing on the inside and they start to cause problems, they basically squish togther.And eventually the fish implodes on itself, if it even lives that lonh

^ yup also something called stunting, what happens is the fish release hormones In the water column to judge a variety of things. What happens is when there's not enough room to grow, fish will actually stop growing there "outer body" scales fins and such along with there skeleton. This is where "fish only gets as large as there tank" advice comes in. But what happens is that ther winter am organs keep growing on the inside and they start to cause problems. And eventually the fish implodes on itself, if it even lives that lonh

Exactly to the point !!! I try to express that with folks that want to keep Discus and only do a 25% WC every two weeks. It doesn't work. It's not good for the fish, it's not good for a routine, and the next thing you know, we're diagnosing "what's wrong with my fish". Proper research prevents 97.5999% of the new threads that get posted.

I will get them moved! I don't want to cause them any health issues!!! :( they have a great filter and I do a 1/3 or more water change weekly with a gravel vacuum.

Oh and they get lots of food and 3 different types. I put a cucumber in the tank for my snail to eat and they nibbled on that too.

My goldfish tank!

See it's not all bad, your doing proper care but for the wrong stock. Trust me it happens. Also feeding is good but only feed as much as they can eat in a min or two. Left overs will build up and
cause ammonia and such wich is bad

I will get them moved! I don't want to cause them any health issues!!! :( they have a great filter and I do a 1/3 or more water change weekly with a gravel vacuum.

Very cool !!! IMO/E, I would say to up your WC's. If you're feeding well, like cgthebeast points out, excess food will lead to bad things in your tank. Why ? Just because that's how it happens.

To break it down a little more simply, look at it like this. Your friends are having a picnic at 1:00 pm. Burgers, dogs, potato salad, etc. A good time. Now the bad news. You can't be there till 5:00 pm. Okay, not so bad realistically. BUT, the food has been out for 4 hours. All the ketchup, mayo, relish, buns, etc. In the 96° heat. Something you really wanna eat ? That's how your fish feel.

The more often you rotate your food and condiments, (WC's) the better off your guests will be.

See it's not all bad, your doing proper care but for the wrong stock. Trust me it happens. Also feeding is good but only feed as much as they can eat in a min or two. Left overs will build up and
cause ammonia and such wich is bad

Some times I wonder if I'm under feeding! I put in a ton every time and they eat every last bit!

Some times I wonder if I'm under feeding! I put in a ton every time and they eat every last bit!

Goldfish will happily consume whatever you give them even if is not good for them. Don't over feed. It is not necessary and it will lead to poor water quality and negatively impact the health of the fish.

I'm trying to do all the research ;) for the bigger tank I know I have Japanese Ranchu, Azuma Nishiki, and am almost positive the last one is a fantail but I want to be certain! Can anyone confirm that for me? The older one with a dorsal fin is a fantail? Is there any fancier name?

My goldfish tank!

Fish care and requirements I can do, identifying fish on the other hand is not my strong point. I'm pretty sure the bright orange one in picture 2 is a common fan tail though

Both of my uncles are aquarists! And they both give me 3 names for one kind of fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom