My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish in! Plants in!

I went to pet smart tonight an but 1 anabuis nana and 1 java fern.
I also got 6 panda Cory cats! Here's a picture! In the picture the waters a little cloudy cause of the fish store water and the sand has gravel tab on it.... Opps.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397872840.158961.jpg
Here's a pic of some of the Cory's!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397872870.620360.jpg

Now I have 2 questions. While I was planting plants I noticed thickish red algae on the bottom of my driftwood. :( any suggestions? How do I get rid of it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397873128.150972.jpg

My second question is if a pet store employ using the inch a fish rule says I can't add my more fish but I know that's not true, then what do I say?

Well over night the algae spread :(. Through rookie mistakes I have red beard algae. I'm going to bleach my plants like most sites recommend. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397906569.239094.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397906599.219097.jpg

You may want to try spot treating the plants with hydrogen peroxide. I have tried it on a reddish bushy algae like you have described. However, it was on some driftwood and not on the plants. H2O2 seems less toxic IMO.
You may have better luck tying the anubias to a rock or piece of DW. The rhizome looks like it is too deep in the substrate. Not sure what the other plant is.

Since I cannot remove the DW, I shut off the filters for about 10-15 minutes and during that time I squirt some H2O2 using a plastic syringe onto the affected DW and plants. I use it full strength at about 1 mL/gallon.
If you can remove the DW and it's not too big, then you can place it in a quart or gallon size ziplock bag and add H2O2 to it (uses less H2O2 than if using a bucket). Let it bubble away for at least 10 min, give it a brief tap water rinse and put it back in the tank.

Update! I spot treated the plants and the algae is already gone :) I took out the driftwood and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and have ot soaking right now in warm water with a tad of Hydrogen Peroxide. Now I'm having a small brown algae outbreak on my sand I cleaned it up so its gone. I expect it to return. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here :) ;)

Hi! Tonight ( hopefully) I will be testing my water. Doing a 5 gal water change putting my driftwood back in, and raking the sand!

Hi! Update. So out of my checklist I did everything but the driftwood, going to wait till my dad gets back from California to do it.

Edit: my ammonia level was about 0.25 my PH was 7 my NitrItes were 0 and my NitrAtes were 20. I decided to do a 2.5 gallon water change after that and raked my sand. Everything's good. My plan this weekend is to lots of more plants, put my driftwood back in and add more fish? Thx.

So out of curiosity, do you think I should add any fake plants? I'm only asking because I know they offer shade, shelter, and are easy to maintain. My only concern is that they might look out off place with the real plants because I definitely want to have mostly real plants. So speaking of real plants, do you thing I can add any val species like jungle val or any others?

So out of curiosity, do you think I should add any fake plants? I'm only asking because I know they offer shade, shelter, and are easy to maintain. My only concern is that they might look out off place with the real plants because I definitely want to have mostly real plants. So speaking of real plants, do you thing I can add any val species like jungle val or any others?

You could, especially if the plastic plants can serve a function. Maybe you could add them to just the corners. As the live plants fill in, you could remove the plastic ones as needed.
The last time I grew Vals (similar species called Crystal River) they would grow 4+ feet.
Some of the taller crypts might be suitable as a background plant. Or fast growing stem plants such as Bacopa caroliniana.

Ok thanks. Do you think I should add any more fish this weekend

My current stock is 6 panda cories

I'm going to add 6 more cories
2 apistogramma
7 harlequins rasboras.

Id start with the 6 cories. Might be fun to see them socialize and explore the tank. Then the rasboras next. Not sure if you QT first but if you could that would be a good idea. It beats having to treat an entire tank. I plan to do that with the next fish I buy. However, it's been almost a year and a half since I bought fish. And when I did, I brought home Ich :(

Back
Top Bottom