My new 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
So we decided our new tank was going to be a planted tank. If we are doing this right from the get go, we may as well do it up, yeah? Anyway it is just a 10g, and we've set it up with some fine gravel (pea gravel?) and petrified wood. After setting it up, and adding Prime I tossed in some of those WalMart bulbs. A pack of lily bulbs and a pack of hardy aponogeton. If they don't sprout, I'll just go buy plants from PetSmart I guess.
My tank came with regular old bulbs in a screw it fixture. Do you guys think 2 15w CFL full spectrum bulbs will be enough for a 10g? There are two so that's 30w total. I know that the 23w version of the bulbs put our 1650 Initial Lumens, 2700K color temperature, but can't find these specs for the 15w.... is that important? I am really ignorant of planted tech!

Oh wow, so I'm nowhere close with these. I've found better ratings with CFL bulbs, but I thought the "full color spectrum" part was really important, and these others are simply "CFL".

Lily bulbs and aponogeton will grow fine with the lights you have. I'm growing them in a 30 gal. and only 18 watts of light. They took longer to sprout than the package said, but are growing strong now.

You will need to upgrade your lighting if you venture into higher light plants though.

Back
Top Bottom