My new 115G Cichlid tank - What you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will also agree that a male Hongi is a sight... I think they are a stunning freshwater fish! It's unfortunate that the females are drab, but when I had a colony of them in my tank, they were the smallest fish yet one little male almost immediately settled in and began displaying very vibrant coloration at about an inch and a quarter! He was absolutely the brightest purple with a yellow head...

Many will say not to mix the Labidochromis species for fear of hybridization, but I think if you are not trying to sell them, then it's not a big deal... Many fry don't make it anyway. But if you are careful about not introducing them to others, I don't see the problem...

Gonna pick up some new fish this weekend and will post some pics. Also checked the stats on my 84G and the Nitrates took a jump to 80ppm with Ammonia 0ppm and Nitrites 0ppm for no apparent reason, so doing a 50% water change right now. Should I test right after again or wait til tomorrow to see if it went down?

Thanks, I'll test it tomorrow when I get home from work. Gonna pick up what I think are pearlmutts. I'll take pics and we can debate about what they are....should be a good time. LOL

New water test

So, I tested again tonight and have 40ppm. Did a good gravel vacuum when I did the water change. Wondering if I should do another 50% PWC again or if this is ok. Or should I test my tap water? That is what I am filling the tank with. I am also using stress coat as a dechlorinator. Should I use something else? It has instructions for dechlorinating on it. Hesitate to think it is the tap water since my Mbuna tank doesnt have the same problem. That one is pretty consistant at 20ppm. Also this tank has bigger bioload. Following stock in the 84G:
7 Large Angels
4 Zebra danios
2 big bala sharks 4"
1 common pleco 3"
2 albino plecos 3"
2 neon tetras
2 red eye tetras
2 pictus catfish
3 clown loaches 2"
1 black tetra

Am I worrying about nothing or should I get it lower? I never used to test my water, now I'm totally anal about it.:bowl:

My 84G

Here it is! It is an 84G long. It has been set up for about 1 year now. Has 2 HOB's and an UG with 2 PH's. Water is clear and the fish seem happy. BTW, Craigslist $250 with all the filters, gravel, cover, lights, pumps.....etc.....etc.....

Attachments

• DSC00331.jpg
    DSC00331.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 52
My Angels

Here are some pics of my big angels..

Attachments

• DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00067.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01597.jpg
    DSC01597.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 56
I'm late to this thread, but I worry about your stocking if it is as posted.

7 Large Angels- Too many for that tank IMO. A couple couples form and havok will reign.
4 Zebra danios- Not enough.
2 big bala sharks 4"- Get too big.
1 common pleco 3"- Gets WAY tooooo big and is high bioload.
2 albino plecos 3"- What type? High bioload regardless.
2 neon tetras- Not enough.
2 red eye tetras- Not enough.
2 pictus catfish
3 clown loaches 2"- Get too big for that tank, but are slow growers.
1 black tetra- Just one of any tetra is a bad idea.

I'm sorry if I seem to be a gloomy guy, but you seem to have the chain store smorgasbord going on and that simply can't work long term. Fish will disappear, disease will presnt, and in the end you will have a headache. All JMHO.

What are the measurements of the tank? Looking at the most recent pic, it looks bigger than an 84.

72"X15"X18" Long story about the mish mash of fish. But most were rescues from other peoples tanks that were going to get flushed. Would still like answers to the question of a couple of posts back. Thanks.

So, I tested again tonight and have 40ppm. Did a good gravel vacuum when I did the water change. Wondering if I should do another 50% PWC again or if this is ok. Or should I test my tap water? That is what I am filling the tank with. I am also using stress coat as a dechlorinator. Should I use something else? It has instructions for dechlorinating on it. Hesitate to think it is the tap water since my Mbuna tank doesnt have the same problem. That one is pretty consistant at 20ppm. Also this tank has bigger bioload. Following stock in the 84G:
7 Large Angels
4 Zebra danios
2 big bala sharks 4"
1 common pleco 3"
2 albino plecos 3"
2 neon tetras
2 red eye tetras
2 pictus catfish
3 clown loaches 2"
1 black tetra

Am I worrying about nothing or should I get it lower? I never used to test my water, now I'm totally anal about it.:bowl:

72"X15"X18" Long story about the mish mash of fish. But most were rescues from other peoples tanks that were going to get flushed. Would still like answers to the question of a couple of posts back. Thanks.

I hope this is the right post that you are referring to.

I would do at least 2 more 50% changes over the next week to get Nitrate <20. Testing your tap is a good idea even if the same symptoms don't show up in your other tank. I was reallly surprised when I tested our's! I'd recommend switching to Prime when you run out of stress coat. I've used both and Prime just seems to be more consistent and a better value for the money. Like I said, I'm late to the thread and I'll be honest enough to say that I did not read every word of every post. If you wouldn't mind reposting any questions that have been missed or lost or new, I'll do my best to answer them if I can. That is a great tank! Those dimensions make for a really neat tank.

Will do a couple more 50% PWC's over the weekend and see if I can get the Nitrates lower. Thanks for the advice. That is the post that I was refering to. I am going to the LFS this weekend to pick up a couple fish for my 115G Mbuna tank so I will look for Prime. Am almost out of the StressCoat anyway.

In addition to the above post, do you usually treat the whole tank or just the amount of water you replace? Some of the instructions say to just treat the whole capacity of the tank. I have only been treating the amount of water that I add.

In addition to the above post, do you usually treat the whole tank or just the amount of water you replace? Some of the instructions say to just treat the whole capacity of the tank. I have only been treating the amount of water that I add.

I treat for the entire volume of water in any tank that I don't use a bucket on. For our 120 and 75 we python them and then add Prime for the capacity of the tank as we add the temp matched water. I can't imagine you're using buckets so I'd recommend treating for capacity.

I use a python also, but I just put in the amount for the water that I add, not the entire capacity. Dont know if that would effect that Nitrates though? But I will start treating the entire capacity.

I second the use of prime, and I also add to capacity... I do about 50% PWC weekly on my 75 gallon and add the same amount of prime every time. I always wondered about build up of that stuff, but so far no problems.

Gonna do another 50% tonight and see what effect that has. Will post tonight and let you all know.

Back
Top Bottom