My new 115G Cichlid tank - What you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New fishes.

So, I stopped at the LFS tonight and picked up a few more fish. I think they are Pseudotropheus socolofi but I am not sure, they dont have the black line on the dorsal fin. What do you all think? And I did the 50% PWC tonight on the 84G and will post the readings tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC00461.jpg
    DSC00461.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00462.jpg
    DSC00462.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00464.jpg
    DSC00464.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00465.jpg
    DSC00465.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 54
More of the new fishes

Here are a few more.

Attachments

• DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00468.jpg
    DSC00468.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00471.jpg
    DSC00471.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 50
Those don't look like Socolifi's. They would have black edging to all their fins.

They look like Cobalt Blue Zebras. I wish I could find those here! Nice blue addition!

Do they look more like this? Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

These are Socolifi's. See what I mean about the edging? I had a couple but they were too aggressive in my 30 gallon. Now that I have more room I cannot find any to replace them. Even at 2" they had the black edging.
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

That is why I didnt think they were socolifi's. The guy at the LFS said they were but none of them had the black stripe. I was hoping they were the blue zebras! That is what I really wanted!!! Soooooo happy!!!! They are such a great addition! Just the color that I needed to set off the tank. The only one that pays them any attention at all is the Albino. Makes me think he is an albino of that same species. He chases them alot right now. But they have only been in there about 2 hours and he has let up a little. Think I will slow down a little now. Next thing will be to add some more rock in a couple weeks I think. What you know about angels Dizz? Check out my thread about my angel in the cichlid discussion. Maybe you can help with that one too....

Nope, don't really know Angels. Sorry. The only fish I have done extensive research on is Bolivian Rams and African cichlids.

Hey Spoon, I got a great picture tonight that shows how big your babies will be in a years time. They have a white eye problem in the picture cuz I had to use a flash, but it really shows how big they are. This is a 48" long tank. This is how big your little Yellow Labs, Zebras and Acei should be next year. Cool huh?
img_997530_0_e7c03f3ef05f51374ea7777e8152cd83.jpg

That is awesome. That video is too cool! At what age did they start breeding? I am just wondering when to start looking for that kind of behavior. I guess they just keep acting the way mine are acting now. They never slow down huh? When I go to feed them in the morning the Acei's look like the dolphins at seaworld doing tailwalks across the water at the top of the tank. They are crazy, but I can sit and watch them for hours! The blue zebra's were such a good addition. I have a very nice combination of colors now. I am very happy. But, I am having some problems with high nitrate levels in my 84 and the 115 tanks right now. Both are approaching 80ppm and I have done 50% PWC's in the last 2 days. 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. Dont know whats going on. Even testing my tap water and 0 nitrates. I have changed out the filter media tonight and it was really old so we will see if that makes a difference.

Out of all my fish, my Acei are my favorite because they are always so busy and always swimming in a big group. Even their tiny fry swim in groups! My biggest problem is that the tank is on the same wall as my TV and they are forever distracting me! I took that video last night laying on my couch. I had my camera sitting there on the coffee table and just picked it up and zoomed in some. Thank goodness I can pause live TV :) I just love them even more now that they are big. People walk in and say "whoa! Those are huge fish!!"

My Reds and Yellows started spawning at about 3". My Acei started at over 4". That might be because I had no male until recently and the females started spawning together.

So, Dizz, check out these pics of my Yellow Labs and tell me if you dont think that I have one male and three females. The one that I think is a male has a very pronounced black line on his dorsal and very dark lower fins. He has even developed a dark "beard". I think I got really lucky. The other Labs are less pronounced. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• DSC00485.jpg
    DSC00485.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00486.jpg
    DSC00486.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00487.jpg
    DSC00487.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00488.jpg
    DSC00488.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 54
Looks to me like a male and 3 females. The only sure 100% way to tell is to find a female holding. Another way to tell is to vent them. You hold them in your palm and look at the holes on their tummy. A males holes will look like this oo an female like this oO. If you try this, start with the male so you can see what a male looks like, then the others. If the others holes are one small one big, that is a female. Here is what I mean:
Malawi Cichlids, Malawi Species Profiles, African Cichlids, Lake Malawi, Malawi Forum, Tanks, Articles, Books, Videos

Check out what they do when my daughter stands by the tank!!! They all come to say "HI".

Attachments

• DSC00489.jpg
    DSC00489.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 54
Me too, but not as much. She is the one that feeds them the most. I feed them when she forgets or doesnt have time. She also spends alot of time watching them so I think they actually recognize her!

For sure they recognize her! The best way to get the fish over being shy is to spend a lot of time watching them. I bet she talks to them too huh?

This is why African cichlids are so much fun! I actually have a little Hongi that will come out of his cave if I call his name! He will stay in it watching me, but if I say "Zeus!" he comes out and swims right up to my face!

That is just a precious picture! You should frame it and put it over the tank :)

Isnt there something to male yellow labs having the black eyeball stripe, and the females lacking said stripe?

Hey all you cichlid keepers. What kind of substrate do you have and what are you using for filtration? I am thinking about taking out the UGF and going with a finer substrate. I do like having the powerheads in the tank moving the water around though. Please tell me what you all use. Right now I have 2 HOB's with biowheels and the UGF with 2 powerheads. Was thinking of going to possibly a cannister.

Back
Top Bottom